The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Cleanup/maintenance or overstepping my bounds? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/cleanup-maintenance-overstepping-my-bounds-146339/)

prettypony 12-11-2012 03:45 PM

Cleanup/maintenance or overstepping my bounds?

So this is the situation I'm in. I brought my horse out to BC 2 months ago. I found a fantastic lady who keeps her own horses and a boarder already on her property of 10 acres. They all live outside with adequate shelter which was what I wanted for my mare. Plus, she offered me a working opportunity, so I don't even pay to keep my horse.
Now, the thing is, the place is a little rundown. Not to the point of being a safety hazard, but just a few things that need a fixer upper. What I would really love to do would be to fix up the tack room or shed/barn (or both). I have to get in there anyways and board up a hole where rats are getting into the tack room. I have offered to fix the fence before when my horse broke it, but she was adamant that her husband would do it. I know some people just like to do it themselves, their way (hey, I'm like that!).
Now, my dilemma is whether this would be overstepping my bounds as a boarder? I would like to do it as a Christmas gift to her and her family as she has been wonderful to me and I know they have limited time to spend on upkeep, but how should I approach it?

themacpack 12-11-2012 03:48 PM

Simply put, do not do anything without first obtaining express permission to do so from the property owner.

prettypony 12-11-2012 03:56 PM

Sorry, yes, should have been a little clearer. I will ask her before I do anything, but not sure how to approach it without it coming off rudely as "The place is kind of a dump, can I make it better?".
Not that it is a dump, but you know, that's how it may come off as.

Nitefeatherz 12-13-2012 10:36 PM

Maybe just approach it as you told us...you like it here and since she seems busy you wanted to help without overstepping. Tell her you'd like it to be a Christmas present if you want but the way you explained it to us sounds fair.

Thunderspark 12-16-2012 12:38 AM

I have boarders, sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the repairs/cleaning up with horses.....I would love if someone offered to do that for a Christmas present in appreciation of what I do daily for all the horses, just ask first and explain why you would like to help them out....

Nitefeatherz 12-17-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderspark (Post 1801506)
I have boarders, sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the repairs/cleaning up with horses.....I would love if someone offered to do that for a Christmas present in appreciation of what I do daily for all the horses, just ask first and explain why you would like to help them out....

I strongly agree with discussing things 1st...many people can get used to having things done a certain way. Talking about it 1st lessens the possibility of stepping on toes unintentionally.