The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Picking up hoof help. (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/picking-up-hoof-help-146422/)

Arrowslinger 12-12-2012 10:01 AM

Picking up hoof help.

Howdy. Does anyone have any great articles or videos on training a horse to pick up his front and/or backs? My gelding has regressed in this area and needs a refresher (the trainer, me, needs a refresher too).

Thanks in advance!!

Arrowslinger 12-12-2012 10:03 AM

Should i post this in the 'horse training' subforum? Sorry, i'm new here.

Sherian 12-12-2012 02:45 PM

for his fronts if he is just being stubborn, twist his chestnut - they will sometimes really snap the foot up so be prepared.

loosie 12-12-2012 09:17 PM

Hmm, not sure what good articles or such are out there on that one - tho I should!

'Regressed' sounds like perhaps he's getting you figured out?:lol: Good timing, giving the foot back *before* he really decides to take it, and giving him 'feedback' *before* he gets more than niggly, so you can set yourself up for success & be ready & hang onto it if he gets impatient, **if/when it's safe to do so* - sometimes especially with feet, it's not worth perservering & if you think it's going to get dangerous or you won't be able to hold onto it - so he learns to argue & 'win' anyway. Best then to let him have it & then immediately ask again.

Sherian 12-12-2012 10:13 PM

it is a bit of a snakeoil trick - it doesn't replace good training method but good way to get the attention of the ones who know better and are just ignoring you. It apparently is a reflex due to sequential nerves or some such thing - the person who showed me was a little vague on the whys.

Captain Evil 12-12-2012 10:37 PM

Ahab was miserable about all four feet, but maybe a week of clicker training, he got over it. My farrier now sits on Ahab's feed bucket and trims his hooves without even tying him up or having anyone hold him.

Arrowslinger 12-13-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherian (Post 1796082)
for his fronts if he is just being stubborn, twist his chestnut - they will sometimes really snap the foot up so be prepared.

Thanks, getting his feet up isn't an issue, its keeping them up.

Quote:

'Regressed' sounds like perhaps he's getting you figured out?
I'm thinking the same thing. In your description, am i putting his foot back down before he begins to pull away? Thoughts on rewarding him when he does keep it up for a bit of time? Carrot?

Quote:

Ahab was miserable about all four feet, but maybe a week of clicker training, he got over it. My farrier now sits on Ahab's feed bucket and trims his hooves without even tying him up or having anyone hold him.
Have to ask, what's clicker training?

Thanks for everyones help and feedback!!!:D

loosie 12-13-2012 07:43 PM

Hi, yes,giv8ng it back before he takes it n gradually asking for more is tgame. Yes *well timed* positivereinforcement, such as abit of carrot goes a long way! :-) Google clicker training. Its essentially behavioural training using positive reinforcement
Posted via Mobile Device

Arrowslinger 12-13-2012 09:28 PM

Thank ya much loosie!!!