The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stepping on Tail

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  LuLuSwoozie 
#1 ·
My mare has one gorgeous tail - if I do say so myself xD It's probably one of the biggest reasons I still drool over her, even on her naughty days ;)
I don't show or compete and love to see her tail, so I don't want to wrap it all up in hiding.
But lately she's begun stepping on it, I'll find a chunk dangling down below all the others that'll slide right out. I think it happens when she backs up fast.
Should I just cut it an inch or two shorter? I hate to do that ;-;
Or should I put it in braids? Will braids make it more likely she'll rip it out if she rubs her bum or something? What are some other things I can do besides bagging it?

Her beautiful bum:

See less See more
#8 ·
Well, you can cut it yourself, or let her continue to step on it and trim it on her own.

Personally, I save my tail from the weather in the winter to keep it nice for the other seasons. I braid it with a strip of old sheet (below the bone!), tie it up, wrap it with Vetwrap and there it stays all winter. No ice balls, and it is gorgeous come spring. Just make sure that anything you do it below the bone and that you brush it first. I also put a hair conditioner on it prior. You will think that a lot of hair comes out when you undo it, but nothing other than all the hair you would have brshed out all winter. Works like a charm.

#9 ·
Well, you can cut it yourself, or let her continue to step on it and trim it on her own.

Personally, I save my tail from the weather in the winter to keep it nice for the other seasons. I braid it with a strip of old sheet (below the bone!), tie it up, wrap it with Vetwrap and there it stays all winter. No ice balls, and it is gorgeous come spring. Just make sure that anything you do it below the bone and that you brush it first. I also put a hair conditioner on it prior. You will think that a lot of hair comes out when you undo it, but nothing other than all the hair you would have brshed out all winter. Works like a charm.

Good plan, I am doing this this year^^^^.

#13 ·
A foal I owned until he was 4 had a long tail that dragged on the ground when unbraided. I did it in 3 braids so it was a wicked fly swatter! When I sold him first thing the little boy did was bang that tail off, lol. If you ride with it loose & it drags & gets stepped on, it will develop a ratty look as hairs are being damaged.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Sue-we use it in Central NY, on a farm that has constant wind, snow, etc. Not a whole lot warmer than where you are. Frostbite? It is not touching skin any more than the normal tail would, ice balls and all, but to each their own.

#16 ·
Yup! I've also seen a horse rip nearly all of her tail out in one go by stepping on it!!:shock:

#19 ·
I think it will just be easier to cut it to her ankles. It will be back by spring. I have to work and I'm often doing the evening feed in the dark. The thought of picking ice balls when it's -25 with the wind blowing in the dark doesn't do much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.