The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What kind of paint..? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-kind-paint-146450/)

Small Fortune Farms 12-12-2012 02:00 PM

What kind of paint..?

I'm at a loss for what Quinn might be. I've been all over the spectrum thought wise. He's got the tons of chrome like tobianos, but feathered edges like overos. So confused! I may also be TOTALLY off base. Forgive me! xD

Quinn the horse

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-12-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small Fortune Farms (Post 1796117)
I'm at a loss for what Quinn might be. I've been all over the spectrum thought wise. He's got the tons of chrome like tobianos, but feathered edges like overos. So confused! I may also be TOTALLY off base. Forgive me! xD

Quinn the horse

He could carry both and a couple of other patterns besides, they seem to like to go in bunches, LOL! They used to call a Tobiano and Overo a Tovero but I understand that term is pretty much not used anymore. I've forgotten why.

Poseidon 12-12-2012 02:20 PM

Tovero isn't used because it just means tobiano and anything else. Overo is a blanket term for anything that isn't tobiano and covers frame, splash, and sabino. They're misleading and confusing to use. In addition, frame overo is lethal in its homozygous form, so separating the terms makes everything better and safer.

Small Fortunes, is your gelding only Hanoverian and Holsteiner or does he have another breed in there?

Small Fortune Farms 12-12-2012 02:31 PM

He has a bit of Irish Sport Horse and some other mixtures. His dam was a mutt, basically, but she was also solid(not sure if she ever had anymore paints) so he has a good bit of variety in him.. Hence why I'm at a loss! I'm trying to get a hold of his previous owner to see if he sired any other coloured babies over therenimn Ireland before he was gelded!

verona1016 12-12-2012 03:09 PM

Definitely tobiano from the way the white comes up vertically and crosses over the back.

I have a hard time pinpointing which other patterns are present when there's a lot of white, but I'd guess he also has sabino from the way the edges are kind of messy and the symmetry of the face white. Maybe some frame also- since the face white extends so far up above the eyes and the leg white is cut off on a couple of the legs.

I don't see anything that suggests splash or dominant white (the remaining pinto patterns) to me.

Poseidon 12-12-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small Fortune Farms (Post 1796180)
He has a bit of Irish Sport Horse and some other mixtures. His dam was a mutt, basically, but she was also solid(not sure if she ever had anymore paints) so he has a good bit of variety in him.. Hence why I'm at a loss! I'm trying to get a hold of his previous owner to see if he sired any other coloured babies over therenimn Ireland before he was gelded!

First, if he's not known to be registered as an American Paint Horse or APH breeding, he's a pinto, not a Paint.

Second, I asked because we can give you a more accurate answer if we knew what breeds he actually is. Some breeds do not carry certain patterns. Looking at those pictures, I'd say tobiano, frame, and sabino. Sabino causing the jagged edges and frame from his blaze being so wide, particularly above and between the eyes. However, if I knew his breeding more, I could rule out frame because quite a few breeds don't carry it.

FeatheredFeet 12-12-2012 05:27 PM

If he was born and bred in Ireland, I seriously doubt he carries frame, since it is very rare in the UK, unless horses in his background, were imported. Most all coloured horses in the UK, are tobiano, sabino and splash.

Could be, he even has some Gypsy Cob/Irish Cob in there somewhere. Handsome fellow and I'd love to see some profile pics of him.

Lizzie

Poseidon 12-12-2012 05:38 PM

That's what I figured, Lizzie. But since the OP was in Texas, I wasn't sure if there was other breeding in there. Now seeing that he is from Ireland, I highly doubt it and it's splash and sabino causing his blaze to look the way it is.

Small Fortune Farms 12-12-2012 06:00 PM

Thanks guys! Yes all his breeding is from Ireland as far back as I can go. I wish I knew more about his dam, but unfortunately I've only had him about seven weeks now. I've decided I'm splurging and getting myself a good camera for Christmas, and he's going to be my test subject, so he'll have some good pictures up soon!

Reno Bay 12-12-2012 06:12 PM

I too say at least tobiano, splash, and sabino.

He is so handsome!