The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   2 horse straight load or 1 horse slant? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/2-horse-straight-load-1-horse-146487/)

Runninghot88 12-12-2012 07:21 PM

2 horse straight load or 1 horse slant?

I have a bumper pull 2 horse straight right now. My gelding does not seem to travel as well as I would like him to in it. When I bought the trailer, the previous owner welded the center divider making it non-moveable. Thinking of having the center divider's welds broken to make it a moveable divider and make it a one horse slant, to give him more room. Has anyone done this before? Thoughts opinions? He willingly gets in now and getting a bigger trailer is not feesible right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 12-13-2012 12:31 AM

I'd get better at the two horse straight load... It's way better for resale to have a two horse trailer and something that isn't for lack of a better word, jimmy rigged together. I would just work on your horse everyday to make him comfortable getting into the trailer, I don't see any reason why a horse couldn't freely load into a straight load unless it physically didn't fit. I'm not an expert but, I've bought two trailers in the past 6months I'd be looking right over any home job stuff if I were to buy a trailer.

Runninghot88 12-13-2012 01:02 AM

It wouldn't be "jimmied" the center dividere would just swing all the way to the side and would be held there and then swung back when needed for 2 horses. Its not that he isn't comfortable getting in. He loads just fine, but doesn't adjust his weight as well as he does in a slant
Posted via Mobile Device

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 12-13-2012 01:46 AM

oh okay that sounds better than what i was thinking, LOL. I thought you were permanently turning into a one horse slant.

Joe4d 12-13-2012 02:03 AM

doesnt adjust his weight ? I think you are trying to create problems that dont exist. Put him in the trailer, shut the door. Drive to your destination.

blue eyed pony 12-13-2012 11:45 PM

Joe4d not necessarily... my gelding has travelling issues, much much better in a super-wide bay or with the divider tied across.

What my boy does, from watching him from behind, is he leans into the corner too much [anticipating a really tight turn I think], overbalances, and then has to scramble to keep his feet. He's getting better [haven't had a big scramble in over a year just little ones] but I prefer to travel him so that he's solid. Last time he scrambled [minor scramble!] he nicked his fetlock [on the way to a show!!]... rather not have that happen again. And if all of a sudden he starts scrambling badly again, he could do a lot more damage to himself than he did with a minor scramble in quite a safe trailer!

I haven't travelled my gelding on a slant load, and I actually think in his case it might make him worse. In a straight load trailer he chooses to stand straight even with the divider tied across so he can choose to stand on an angle if he likes. I think it would stress him out to put him in a slant load, and when he's stressed his scrambling is worse.

Runninghot88 12-13-2012 11:56 PM

Joe4d for your horse that might work. For mine absolutely not. I don't want to travel uncomfortably so why would I ask my equine partner to do so? Also the emotional trauma that would cause is not worth it. My horse has the capabilities to travel in any type of trailer with no mishap and little to no resistance. But as an owner that cares for my animal I will make him comfortable.

Blue eyed pony that's how my gelding is. I make sure to take every turn with as little jarring that is possible. He has actually gone down in the trailer once, hasn't done it in almost a year though but did knick himself. But you noticed that giving him the option of how he wanted to stand made a difference with the divider being tied off?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 12-14-2012 03:27 AM

You're anthropomorphizing your horses.
If your horses are slamming around in the trailer, Id suspect the driver. Switching load types wont do much if you dont slow down and ease up on the brakes. Drive like you are on ice.

EvilHorseOfDoom 12-14-2012 04:24 AM

Hmmmm...BUT a two-horse trailer with a single horse isn't very well balanced. I'd be inclined to make it one that could take a single horse in a slant as well as two horses with a divider. The lady who transports Brock (and does a wonderful job) has a removable divider so the weight isn't all on the one side when she's only transporting one horse.

Joe, I agree completely with the idea of not anthropomorphising a horse BUT surely it is just good practice to ensure that the horse is comfortable on the ride? :?

rmax 12-14-2012 06:14 AM

I had the same problem,I pinned the divider to the curb wall. First time trailering after do this he traveled in a slant position (have trailer camera installed) and was very secure in his footing. I have since removed the divider completly and had a new breast bar made up, I now use it as a large box stall. He seems to travel much better this way and the trailer can go back to a 2 horse in 5 min.