The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Feed through dewormer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feed-through-dewormer-146507/)

Captain Evil 12-12-2012 11:29 PM

Feed through dewormer?

How do you guys approach the whole deworming situation? My Arab had no resistance to worms at all, and had to be on a daily dewormer, plus paste dewormers four times a year, and his fecal tests always came back positive for ascarids. Ahab is much more resistant, but I still have him on a daily Strongid feed through, along with past deworming 2x a year (April = Anthelcide September = Zimectrin Gold x 2 for tapes).

I feel that this is a lot of poison. So, I tried doing quarterly fecals, but it just didn't work: there is the pre-paste fecal; that is $20.00 or so and takes 2 weeks, then there is ordering the paste, $18.00 to $40.00 bucks and another week, then there is the wait and the post-paste fecal: another $20.00 and two week wait. Seemed like it is cheaper and much less hassle just to do the feed through and twice yearly paste treatments.

So, what do you guys do?

Spotted 12-12-2012 11:38 PM

I deworm every three months. It depends on the time of year, for which dewormers to use. Every animals will always have parasites. Its a matter of keeping them under control to keep your animal healthy. Talk with your vet and they should recommend what to use at what times of the year. foals/younger animals need to be done more often. Here it is recommended to deworm foals every 2 months until they are 6 months. It also depends on how many animals you have and how big of an area they are in.

verona1016 12-13-2012 02:12 PM

This is my first year with my horse, but my routine as of now is to deworm twice yearly (spring with ivermectin, fall with Quest Plus), with a FEC run in between those two and additional deworming done if needed. My boy seems to have pretty good natural resistance- both of his FEC's have come up completely clean.

poppy1356 12-13-2012 02:50 PM

My girl gets this daily dewormer Equi Aid CW Daily Feed Pelleted Wormer - Statelinetack.com

Plus she gets dewormed with zimectrin gold after first hard frost then something else in spring. Then in summer she will get the 5-day Panacur Powerpac.

walkinthewalk 12-13-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Evil (Post 1796937)
How do you guys approach the whole deworming situation? My Arab had no resistance to worms at all, and had to be on a daily dewormer, plus paste dewormers four times a year, and his fecal tests always came back positive for ascarids. Ahab is much more resistant, but I still have him on a daily Strongid feed through, along with past deworming 2x a year (April = Anthelcide September = Zimectrin Gold x 2 for tapes).

I feel that this is a lot of poison. So, I tried doing quarterly fecals, but it just didn't work: there is the pre-paste fecal; that is $20.00 or so and takes 2 weeks, then there is ordering the paste, $18.00 to $40.00 bucks and another week, then there is the wait and the post-paste fecal: another $20.00 and two week wait. Seemed like it is cheaper and much less hassle just to do the feed through and twice yearly paste treatments.

So, what do you guys do?

Wow, your horse sounds to be in the minority or maybe he isn't but nobody's telling the LEVEL of egg count in the FEC samples being read?

My vet tells me what to do according to the count OR if he sees Tapes. One of my horses had tapeworms once and I nearly had heart failure:oops:

I'm wondering if maybe your horse in question might need some sort of immune booster?? I dunno, just thinking out loud:?:? Maybe a DVM that's taken the hollistic route might be able to help sort this out:-)

I have a hunch that my horse who is the highest shedder might be that way because he also has immune deficiencies. He has horrible, seasonal, environmental allergies and he is also oat/corn/soy intolerant. If any of my four are going to be in the "med-high" category, it will be always be him.:shock:

I don't believe in daily feed-thru's as, too much of a good thing can turn into wormer resistance. I only worm according to fecal results and then I worm with what the vet suggests - mostly because two of my four have serious metabolic issues,, one with hind gut ulcers, and I am paranoid:-P

This link doesn't answer your question but does give some good information that includes a paragraph on daily Strongid and worm resistance to it.

Deworming Recommendations

deserthorsewoman 12-13-2012 03:33 PM

That^ is exactly what I did for eight years, before I came here. I had my paddock, for my horses only, no other horses allowed on it. I, when I started out, did everybody with Equimax, then did a FEC, all was clear. From then on, keeping paddock and stalls clean, scrubbing and rinsing with hot water anything contaminated before feeding or watering out of it, and I was down to Equimax once a year after the bots had died. Did FEC's in spring and fall, and was good.
Once I used daily worker on a youngster I couldn't touch, to give him a headstart until I could give the paste, but only because I found bloodworms in his poop.
Apart from the FEC's, I think cleanliness is the major factor for reducing the worm burden.