The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   New from Indiana (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/new-indiana-146522/)

RaigenB 12-12-2012 11:56 PM

New from Indiana

Hello everyone, I posted in the wrong area last time for this but I got it now haha.

I don't have a horse yet but I'm working on that. I have some experience of riding, but I'm not a pro haha. I want a horse for trail riding, I don't really want to do barrels or poles.

I was told about that the QH, Paint, and Tennesee Walkers can all be good trail horses. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions to add?

When I see myself with a horse, I see myself trail riding, camping, or riding down some back roads. If this helps any.

SouthernTrails 12-13-2012 07:39 AM

Welcome to The Horse Forum

RaigenB 12-13-2012 07:44 AM

Thanks! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 12-13-2012 07:58 AM

Welcome from a fellow hoosier!

As far as choosing a trail horse goes, my suggestion is don't judge by breed, judge by brains ;) Look for a solid, been there, done that trail horse that has seen & done what you plan to do. Being sound & having decent conformation will be important as well, a well put together horse regardless of breed will tend to have more longevity. Good luck with your search!
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 12-13-2012 08:35 AM

Welcome! I wasn't saying you were in the "wrong" area, btw, just trying to help you out since you metioned not seeing an area for introductions. Glad you found HF and hope you like it here. What part of Indiana are you in? We are down on the river on the Eastern side.

RaigenB 12-13-2012 11:04 AM

Thanks guys, I have also been doing that too. Like reading the horse's description of it's behavior and if it can trail ride. I wouldn't get one that couldn't haha.

Themacpack- I live on the west side, like 15-20 min east of the Illinois border. It's about 20min south of Terre Haute. Are you taking about being on the Ohio or Wabash river?
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 12-13-2012 11:24 AM

I'll be in Stink City (that's what my kiddo calls Terre Haute lol) this weekend to visit family for a Christmas get together. Love southern IN, great scenery & good riding. I'm about 2 hours north of Indy in flat, boring corn field country...

RaigenB 12-13-2012 11:50 AM

Lol!! It does stink haha but they are suppose to be fixing that thankfully! I have family over in West Terre Haute. And ya it's pretty flat here too haha and lots of corn fields!
Posted via Mobile Device

ilikehorses2 12-20-2012 12:27 PM

Welcome!!! Hope you like it here!

RaigenB 12-21-2012 01:45 AM

Thanks! And oh I do!! Haha :D
Posted via Mobile Device