The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Best bedding in a stall? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/best-bedding-stall-146552/)

Prismis 12-13-2012 11:42 AM

Best bedding in a stall?

We just built our horses 2 stalls and I put straw in there as bedding but in 2 days they've already gone thru a bale each!

What is the best, cleanest, cheapest bedding to use? And how much would you put in at a time? How often would you clean it? II don't mean just muck out the poop, I mean completely remove it all and put in fresh stuff...

Thanks! I've never done stalls before :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 12-13-2012 11:55 AM

I REALLY like that wood pellet bedding.
I put about four 40# bags into my mare's 12x12 stall, pick the poop and pee spots daily (she's in at night so I do it in the morning when I let her out), and add a new bag every week.
So far, using that method, I haven't had to strip the stall at all and it still smells fresh!
It soaks up water like crazy, doesn't smell if you get the pee spots out on a daily basis, and it's super easy to shake off poop piles = less waste of clean bedding.

Bottom line: it's my favorite. haha

Delfina 12-13-2012 11:58 AM

A mixture of sawdust and shavings. Sawdust to soak up pee and dribbled water, shaving for nice fluffy bedding.

Straw is the WORST, as is large-flake shavings. Straw is slippery, absorbs nothing and cannot be picked around. Large flake shavings are slippery, absorb next to nothing and stick to the poo way too much.

Speed Racer 12-13-2012 11:58 AM

Straw is great for warmth, but I've never been a fan. Too much waste.

The best and easiest to work with is sawdust, if you can get it. Many sawmills used to sell it by the truckload, but so many have contracts with actual businesses that it's difficult to find a mill that will deliver a whole load to an individual now.

Small flake pine shavings are the next best, but they run about $5 a bag, and I have very large stalls. I use two bags every other week in each of my 3 stalls.

themacpack 12-13-2012 12:00 PM

86 the straw, yesterday - the most inefficient bedding you can use, not to mention slippery as heck.
I am a pelleted bedding fan here - it's just so easy to use. It *can* be a bit dusty depending on the brand and your general housekeeping approach, so if you have a horse with respiratory issues it might be better to go with a large flake shaving.

MeganJoey57 12-13-2012 12:00 PM

I love pine shavings! Absorbent and fluffy! I usually put two bales of it in a stall at a time. And I love the price too-- $5 a bale
Posted via Mobile Device

Prismis 12-13-2012 12:18 PM

I've heard all good things about the pellets. I don't know how much they cost though.

I used the pine shavings for my chickens and rabbits and those are $11 a bag! Huge difference from $5!

My horses are going to be stalled until I get a new fence up. (Hopefully no longer then a week). I'm cleaning it about 3 times a day right now. The straw was free: leftovers from a farm themed party & photo shoots lol
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 12-13-2012 12:40 PM

Straw is cheapest and easiest to get rid of (in my area). The mushroom houses will come clean out the manure pit and pay you for it. But, as others have said, it absorbs nothing. I will sprinkle some shavings down in order to absorb the urine in stalls.

I generally use shavings/sawdust in the stalls. I know a few people who use the pellets. They say the pellets get dusty when they break down, but generally like them. I dont know enough about them to really weigh in.

Fulford15 12-13-2012 12:47 PM

I really like the wood pellets as well, I find it cheap and efficient.

Prismis 12-13-2012 01:42 PM

I think I'm going to give those pellets a try... Depend on how much they cost

Mushroom place across the street from me, maybe I'll go talk to them.
Posted via Mobile Device