The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Cutting Down On Costs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/cutting-down-costs-146575/)

EthanQ 12-13-2012 05:22 PM

Cutting Down On Costs?

What do you do to cut down on costs? I need some ideas.
I am currently learning how to trim hooves. I make my own rope halters, reins, headstalls, and polo wraps. What else can I do to cut down on little things like this?

alexischristina 12-13-2012 05:32 PM

Do you feed grain?
Lots of feed stores offer discounts for buying grain in bulk. 10 + bags or a whole pallet at once.

Lockwood 12-13-2012 05:49 PM

Well, I assuming you keep your horses at home like I do. Last year I switched to using round bales and cut my hay bill by over half. I also make my own slow feeder round bale net, which makes the hay go even farther.

My horse is an easy keeper, so I put him on a ration balancer.
(There are some good threads here about ration balancers.)
He basically gets less than one pound daily, so one bag of feed goes a loooong way.
I do give him an expensive hoof supplement and flaxseed, but all in all my food totals on him are less than $70 a month.
That saves me quite a bit.

kenda 12-13-2012 05:56 PM

I second the slow feeder nets. I had my mare in individual turn out and while all of the horses around her ground half their hay into the mud, mine slowly and calmly ate from her net with almost no waste.

Another suggestion is, where applicable, to buy the generic or non-horse brand version of things. Seems as soon as a manufacturer can slap the word "Equine" on something the price triples.

DancingArabian 12-13-2012 06:47 PM

If you make your own tack, try to make a good enough product that other people would want to buy it...then sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device