The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Best hoof supplement for growth? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/best-hoof-supplement-growth-146601/)

VanillaBean 12-13-2012 09:32 PM

Best hoof supplement for growth?

So, Grace's feet are getting smaller and smaller with each trim, and I have realized that they're much too small now, and she's quite tentitive to move out in big strides like usual. So, I am going to have a talk with my farrier DEFINITELY. But for now I need to get her hooves growing. What is the best supplement that encourages growth? I know that the supplement won't solve all of the problems, but I would like to get her hooves growing at least.

What have you had he best luck with / heard the best feedback about?

Thanks in advance,
VB

loosie 12-13-2012 10:28 PM

'Smaller & smaller with each trim' either means they were quite flared when he started & they're getting nice & tight, growing how they should, or it means that they're getting contracted, more every day, which is not good. Hoof pics? Shod or unshod? Management, environment, diet?

Even if it were just a matter of growth, hoof supps aren't going to be the whole answer. There are other factors, such as the above. But a low NSC/carb diet & good, well balanced nutrition is an important part. So the best supplements for your horse in her situation will depend on what she gets in her diet & what that situation is. feedxl.com is one great resource for working that out.

VanillaBean 12-13-2012 10:36 PM

Thanks for your reply, and I'll get pictures soon.

So she's a barefoot Thoroughbred, she's been in a field, but on hay as the field is lacking grass after the frosts. She's on really nice second crop and no grain, too.

Oxer 12-14-2012 12:28 AM

I had a recent battle with white line that had to be cut out, and then my gelding got a nasty abscess quickly thereafter. So i have since started him on Farriers Formula Double Strength. I'm gonna give it about 8 months to a year on this, and hopefully all will be right with the world! :)

Farrier's FormulaŽ Double Strength - Horse Hoof Supplements from SmartPak Equine

verona1016 12-14-2012 01:56 PM

Definitely have a talk with your farrier and let him know that the horse is having soreness issues that are affecting her movement, and also make sure your horse is getting enough nutrients to support proper hoof growth!

Has your hay been tested? Hay/grass is often deficient in copper, zinc, etc. which are crucial for hoof growth. How much of those minerals it contains depends largely on the soil of the specific field in which it was grown. I saw a huge difference in my horse's hoof growth rate a couple months after I got him when I started him on Triple Crown 30% Supplement (I had him previously on a vit/min supplement which was hardly providing any at all, and the person I bought him from before that had him on an all-stock feed... ick!)

gypsygirl 12-14-2012 05:17 PM

i really like smartpaks smarthoof supplement. i had my horse on a dose and a half of it for about a year, now that her bad crack grew out she is on a regular dose. dont be surprised if you dont see huge changes immediately. gypsy was on it for 9 months before her feet started rapidly getting better.