The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnant or not? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/pregnant-not-146634/)

LauraN 12-14-2012 06:04 AM

Pregnant or not?

I got a mare about 6 or 7 months ago and she did not look pregnant at all, but started bagging up about a week ago. It went down again, then it really went up a lot and now her udder is just a lot bigger than usually, but not full any more. Is there anyway to find out without a veterinarian? I actually planned to cross her with an Arabian, so am not too happy about her maybe carrying a mule. Thank you for any and all helping answers!

Speed Racer 12-14-2012 06:35 AM

Sure, you can always wait and see if she foals out. Not something I recommend, but if you're not going to call out a vet, there's no other way to tell until you see front feet presenting.

Vet calls are part and parcel of horse ownership. Better get used to that fact sooner rather than later.

Plus, what's wrong with mules? Long ears are wonderful!

LauraN 12-14-2012 06:57 AM

Yeah, I guess i can. My neighbour will get the vet out for his cows in a couple of months so i will smuggle her into the paddock with them. Just wanted to know if there was a way to find out before. I have nothing against mules either, i think they are very cute, but- i will only be able to get one foal out of her, before i go to university so i was hoping for something more... well horseish? ;-)

rookie 12-14-2012 07:28 AM

If this mare is bagging up you don't have a few months. I would call the vet ASAP if she preggo she needs certain vaccines and diet changes.

FeatheredFeet 12-14-2012 08:01 AM

Why are you not calling a vet? Is it because of cost? If so, you will be needing a whole lot of money for special shots and feed, plus a stud fee, if you are considering breeding your mare in the future. That plus a whole lot more, should she run into trouble foaling. Breeding is an expensive proposition for anyone. Who will raise and train the foal, when you are off at school? I don't mean to be nasty, but it does seem to me, that at the moment, you really don't know enough or have the means, to be setting yourself up as a breeder. If you really want a youngster to bring up, why not wait until you are out of school and then find a project youngster who needs a home. There are thousands being sent off to the slaughter these days and desperately need to be saved.

Lizzie

LauraN 12-14-2012 11:22 AM

I know all that, but i have really pro horse breeding friends and trainers. I know that sounds sooooo stupid and irresponsible but Karen cocker (you can google her) who is Gavin cockers wife (head of the sa polo cross team) and a REALLY pro breeder, said she would come out anytime to help me if i needed it and i have about four or five other friends that have experience in foaling- BUT i will call the vet in an emergency and i have his number and he came to the farm where i keep her a couple of times already. Oh and Karen is a horse trainer aswell. I know this post sounds really stupid but its true.

BBBCrone 12-14-2012 11:29 AM

Okay ... well then I'd guess you'd be better off calling this Karen person and have her come out. We sure can't tell you if your horse is in foal.

MsBHavin 12-14-2012 11:34 AM

I'd be calling the vet. No point in taking chances!
Posted via Mobile Device