The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Trailering Opinions please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/trailering-opinions-please-146667/)

Thyme 12-14-2012 03:28 PM

Trailering Opinions please

1 Attachment(s)
So a couple months ago I got my very first draft cross mare Dahlia, she is a doll. However, she just turned six in june, which is when she was started, that being said she needs a lot of work. This week end we will be hauling her to a local arena to really get a good ride on and hopefully some trails this week.
Apart from that experience she has only been trailered two or thee times.
Her last owner had a stock trailer where they were loose (two halves)
When we picked her up, we left the last divider open so he had the last two spots near door (I have a three horse slant) she hauled the 4 hours like a champ.
The thing is next week I will be picking up my friend and her horse so Dahlia will need to be in the first part of trailer, when ever I would check on her heading home she would be at an angle but not as sharp as closing her in the divider will cause, especially against the wall.
So what we were going to do (at least until she has more trailering experience) is take out the first divider so that there are just two equally large stalls in my trailer. (if that makes sense)
Has anyone done this?
Thanks
(here is a pic i did in paint lol)
{{also my trailer is standard size and my mare is 15.2hh Shire X Arabian}}

CLaPorte432 12-14-2012 03:42 PM

Heres the problem, will your mare be able to turn around in that? If she cant comfortably turn around, shes going to end up getting stuck, freaking out and hurting herself or this other horse.

Do you plan on tying her? That would be okay, allowing her body to move but keep her from turning around.

I went from a stock trailer to a slant as well. My horses were fine with the change, including being stuck in dividers. Dont be surprised if she hauls fairly decent.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thyme 12-14-2012 03:45 PM

Yes she will be tied, I was going to try and just put her in a single one. . . my moms boyfriend is going come out and see how easy the dividers are to get out. If they are easy I will prob give her the two spots to begin with and then switch to one. . .if they don't want to come out I will stick her in there. She is typically very calm but she is half arabian. . . .

CLaPorte432 12-14-2012 03:47 PM

Anyway you can do a practice haul before the big day?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thyme 12-14-2012 03:53 PM

Yes definitely, I am going to just haul her down our road tomorrow. She haul perfect when we brought over back over from eastern wa and it was four hours.
The arena is fairly close maybe a 10 - 20 min haul depending on if there is a train.