The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Finding an Older Rideable Draft Rescue (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/finding-older-rideable-draft-rescue-146669/)

sshipper 12-14-2012 03:37 PM

Finding an Older Rideable Draft Rescue

Hello Everyone,
I am in the process of seeking a kind, older draft that has many years of riding ahead. I have looked at all the draft rescue sites and find a lot of drafts that pull wagons and are pasture ornaments.

If any of you should know a horse that would be available for leasing (to determine right fit,) who loves bareback riding, is completely patient, and understands the fears of a returning older rider and can 'babysit' me a little....I would be interested in talking.

Appreciations,
Steff

FeatheredFeet 12-15-2012 03:17 AM

Have you thoroughly researched/googled Belgian rescues? Last time I looked there seemed to be many in rescue and lots already pretty well trained.

Lizzie

Bluebird 12-15-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sshipper (Post 1799471)
Hello Everyone,
I am in the process of seeking a kind, older draft that has many years of riding ahead. I have looked at all the draft rescue sites and find a lot of drafts that pull wagons and are pasture ornaments.

If any of you should know a horse that would be available for leasing (to determine right fit,) who loves bareback riding, is completely patient, and understands the fears of a returning older rider and can 'babysit' me a little....I would be interested in talking.

Appreciations,
Steff

I would definitely consider buying your own rather than leasing. The trouble with leasing is that you have to give them back and once you have a draft horse, you will never, ever want to part with it. Anything over the age of 5 and backed for riding should be ok for you as they have such laid back temperaments. I have never come across a 'nasty' Clydesdale/Shire. I bought a young horse as a 4yr old. Didn't have any problems with him but I did take some riding instruction with him. Now have got him a buddy - a yearling Clydesdale...LOL

Golden Horse 12-15-2012 11:20 AM

It would help if we knew your location, there are a lot of enablers here who would be only to glad to help you seach:wink:

Bluebird 12-15-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sshipper (Post 1799471)
Hello Everyone,

Appreciations,
Steff

You sound as if you are in the USA? Pity as you could have shared my Clydesdale with me - no charge - just help with mucking out and exercise...LOL. I'm in the UK and I think by the time you had paid your bus fare over here, you would have been too bankrupt and exhausted to enjoy him.

KountryPrincess 12-15-2012 12:23 PM

People looking for older, experienced, safe, horses "with many years ahead", may be asking for the moon. A good babysitter type horse is worth it's weight in gold, but they are often older, and an older horse may *not* have many years left, and if they do, those years may be full of medical needs to keep them going. They may be limited in the amount of riding you can due with them due to arthritis, cushings disease etc., but they may still be worth it due to what they can teach beginners. If you are willing to be a good retirement home for an older horse, you may even be given one in good faith that will be well worth it to you. But expecting the horse to have all the qualities listed, IME is not a realistic expectation. Good luck in your search, and keep an open mind.

Bluebird 12-15-2012 01:12 PM

Some good advice being posted. There are pros and con with an 'older horse' and with a 'rescue'. Like KP said, an older horse may have medical needs so you will need to take into consideration the costs for vets, meds etc. An older horse may also be set in their ways and do what they want rather than what you want. On the other hand, a rescue horse may have 'issues'. Depends on why he/she was rescued. The last thing you want if you are inexperienced with draft horses is a draft horse with issues to do with bad handling, cruelty, neglect, poor feeding. When looking for a 'heavy' keep in mind that what you are actually buying or taking on, is the equine equivalent of a freight train. The last thing you want is a freight train with 'issues'. My best advice is go for the horse that you simply 'gel' with and he with you. Gut feeling plays a large part and I know I will be shot down in flames for saying that. I also bought both my Clydesdales from photographs and videos. Madness...I know...Stupid...I know...but I ended up with what was for me, two perfect horses - but only because I knew the breed inside out. Good luck with your searcha nd I just know that you will find something soon. There are so many really lovely people on here who will give you lots of help.