The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   New Horse, but What Breed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/new-horse-but-what-breed-146673/)

BehindTheName 12-14-2012 06:07 PM

New Horse, but What Breed?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey! I'll be buying my first horse in about a few weeks and I am so excited(: The girl I'm buying him from doesn't know much about him because she got him for free in a trade. She does know that he is two years old though. He is a stud, but I'll be getting him cut whenever he drops. Anyhow, this is the only picture I have of him but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what breed they think he is? I'd greatly appreciate it. I figured maybe the vet could tell me when I take him but I'd like to have some ideas.

DraftyAiresMum 12-14-2012 06:48 PM

Not a great pic to go by, but I'd say TB or QH, with QH being the more likely (or he could be an appendix).
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 12-15-2012 08:19 PM

I agree, maybe Appendix Quarter Horse or just a plain old QH

Palomine 12-15-2012 09:53 PM

He should be dropped by now I think.

Need better pictures of him though.

twp 12-15-2012 09:57 PM

Hmm.. that head looks awful dished for a quarter horse.. I'm thinking an arab, or arab mix.. the funny way he has his feet make me think gaited.

BehindTheName 12-16-2012 12:14 AM

On another site I've been told he looks like an arab or quarter horse so maybe he is. When I finally get him and take him to the vet to get checked up I'll be able to get better pictures and maybe the vet will be able to tell me what he is. Thanks guys!

BarrelracingArabian 12-16-2012 12:19 AM

Yipes i say possibly a quarter horse / arab mix. I also don't think he is standing that way out of being possibly gated, his feet look horrible and he looks uncomfortable. I would get his feet done right away and he should be dropped already as well. He's cute lookin though good luck.

verona1016 12-16-2012 02:46 PM

The head actually reminds me of my friend's Morgan. Can't wait to see more pictures :-)

Also, at 2 years old he should definitely be dropped already. I'd plan on getting him cut asap.

ETA - if you can get pics of his teeth, it's always fun to guess age, too. It's pretty easy to identify the approximate age of horses under 5 by their teeth.

Joe4d 12-16-2012 03:09 PM

wait a minute back the truck up,,,,,
FIrst horse ? 2 year old stud ? I dont see this as a very good match. I strongly suggest you reconsider.

BehindTheName 12-16-2012 03:56 PM

My sister has experience with breaking young, green broke horses lol. I've helped her with the last two too, so I know a good deal of the stuff and she will be helping me. Besides, I can't really afford a more expensive, already broke horse. And besides, it's funner to break your own horse and it allows you to break them the way you want them broke.