The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Using herbs--list of herbs I'm thinking about trying and why. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/using-herbs-list-herbs-im-thinking-146765/)

Rachel1786 12-15-2012 06:52 PM

Using herbs--list of herbs I'm thinking about trying and why.

I have a 15 year old OTTB(bella) who is very prone to ulcers and anxiety , 40+ year old gelding(Blue) who has periodic runny stool,some arthritis, he's very hard to keep weight on. I've recently began to suspect cushings but I don't think he's a good candidate for the normal meds for it so I want to try Chaste tree berries to see if I see any improvement. Also have a 20ish year old appy(Legacy) who gets fat on air and has a fairly nervous personalty. Last is an older donkey(his actual name is clinton, but I prefer to call him donkey man) who has pretty bad arthritis in his right hip and gets seasonal allergies(smelly nasal discharge that the vet can't give us a better answer for). He also has some symptoms of cushings.

Passion flower herb powder-good remedy for anxiety, tension and irritability, passionflower can be of benefit to horses who are generally nervous and apprehensive as well as those who are distressed and restless due to a current illness. In addition to its directly calming effects it also has analgesic (pain-relieving) and anti-spasmodic properties and can be useful, often in conjunction with other herbs, for the moody mare and the horse who has tight, sore muscles due to habitual tension.
Bella, Blue and Legacy

Peppermint leaf powder-Medicinally, Mint is best known for its ability to aid digestion and relieve gastrointestinal distress. Peppermint owes most of its medicinal value to menthol, which is cooling, anaesthetic, antiseptic and soothing to the stomach; it also contains antioxidants and a number of expectorant compounds (which stimulate the coughing up of mucous).
Bella,Blue

Meadowsweet herb c/s-Meadowsweet is also used as a digestive remedy for acid indigestion or peptic ulcers. It protects the inner lining of the stomach while providing the anti-inflammatory benefits of salicylates.

A reduction in ulcerogenic action has been documented, promoting the healing of induced chronic ulcers and preventing acetylsalicylic acid-induced lesions in the stomach. Meadow Sweet may also assist in the treatment of scouring.

Joint problems

Joint problems may be related to increased acid, the ability of meadowsweet to reduce acidity is beneficial in treating joint problems. Meadowsweet may also improve the condition of connective joint tissue. Bella, Blue

Cinnamon powder-Historically Cinnamon has also been used to treat diarrhoea and other problems of the digestive system, and circulatory complaints. Cinnamon is being used in herbal medicine to aid with fungal infections, diabetes, weight loss, yeast infection, and uterine hemmorrhaging.Cinnamon is believe to assist horses with Insulin Resistance (IR). IR is the bodies inability to remove blood sugars (Glucose) from circulation. IR Can lead to the development of other related diseases like laminitis and equine Cushing's Disease. Used in connection with a low sugar, low starch diet and exercise, Cinnamon may assist horses with IR. Bella, Blue,Legacy, donkey

Pumpkin seed powder-I've been told my numerous people that pumpkin is very good to heal ulcers.
Bella

Burdock root c/s- constituent in burdock is thought to have an antibiotic effect. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, as well as hypoglycaemic (lowering blood sugar levels) and diuretic effects, with an anti-tumour action also. Usually used in combination with another herb or herbs.
Blue

Beet root powder-treatment for mood disorders, particularly clinical depression, and a range of other medical conditions. Betaine is also believed to help the liver break down fats.
Beetroot contains folate, potassium and manganese. It is believed the red pigmentation contains certain anti-cancer agents and beetroot has been used in the treatment of cancer for some years. Beetroot is also hepatoprotective. In animal tests, it has been used effectively to keep fat from depositing in the liver, due probably to the herbís concentration of betaine.
Bella, Blue

Licorice root powder -Liquorice Root is a Demulcent (soothing and protecting membranes), expectorant (encouraging the passage of mucous up the bronchials), tonic, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, tonic stimulant for the adrenal cortex, mild laxative, spasmolytic (reducing spasms of smooth muscle such as the bronchials and intestines), antitussive (relieving coughing), antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal.
Bella, would give it to Blue also but decided against it because of the mild laxative effect

Jiaogulan herb powder-this herb was suggested by a friend of mine, she takes it herself for joint pain and has been feeding it to her horse even before that. It increases circulation and helps joint pain Enhances metabolization of nutrition among other thing.
Bella,Blue,Legacy, donkey

Chaste tree berries powder-
  • Cushings disease,
  • relieve PMS tension
Bella, Blue, Donkey

Clay, Bentonite powder-I've heard wonders about miracle clay for ulcers-Bella

Aloe vera leaf powder- treatment of Arthritis, digestive disorders, gastric ulcers, rain scald, mud fever, navicular disease, laminitis, tendon strains and minor injuries
Bella

Alfalfa herb powder(it's hard to get affordable alfalfa around here)-Bella

Chamomile flowers powder-Chamomile flowers are have been used by humans for centuries as a calmative and relaxant. The chamomile flowers are also used for horses with the same effect. The flowers are high in potasium, calcium and magnesium and may assist as an anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, relaxant and calmative.
Bella, Blue, Legacy, Donkey

Marshmallow root powder- Marshmallow is useful when there is inflammation and irritation of the digestive tract and the urinary and respiratory systems. Marshmallow may be used to treat spasmodic colic.
Bella

Slippery elm bark powder-Slippery Elm Bark Powder soothes inflamed mucous membranes of the bowel, stomach, and urinary tract.
Slippery Elm Bark Powder is good for the management of diahorea, gastric ulcers, and for the treatment of colds, flu and sore throats.
Slippery Elm Bark Powder is also beneficial for Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulosis, diverticulitis and gastritis
Slippery Elm Bark Powder contains:

• Calcium
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Manganese
  • Phosphorous
  • Potassium
  • Selenium
  • Zinc
  • Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and C
Bella, Blue

I'm open to suggestions on other herbs to try and this list isn't set in stone. Most of my info came from this site Why Use Horse Herbs and other sites I looked at and forgot to bookmark.

walkinthewalk 12-15-2012 07:36 PM

Unless you are an herbalist and familiar with how all those herbs interact with each other, I would not do any compounding of them.

The only herb I have ever fed my horses on my own is Chastetree to the two insulin resistant horses.

My traditional vet also practices hollistically and does acupuncture. He has studied herbs to some degree but relies on an equine herbalist in Florida to mix up potions for my horses. Which by the way, everything has worked 100% to-date.

This is who he consults with. Herbs can only be bought from this company by a veterinarian who is on the approved list. Somewhere on this website are the list of vets who participate. Hopefully you can find someone near you:-)

Welcome to Dr. Xie's Jingtang Herbal

I am the first person to raise my hand in favor of herbal and hollistic treatments BUT, if caution isn't used, I am aware I could kill my horse with my great lack of herbal knowlege.

I can say the ingredients on the tub of herbs one of my TWH's was on for 60 days were things I have never heard of. Even the cinnamon was not "normal"; it was an Oriental type cinnamon that I can't even pronounce:shock:

Hope this helps:-)