The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   School me on Quarter Horses. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/school-me-quarter-horses-146766/)

redneckfordf2502002 12-15-2012 06:16 PM

School me on Quarter Horses.

Howdy everybody, Currently we have a mustang and paint mix horse. Tomorrow we are going to look at 2 quarter horses a friend of mine has he wants to get rid of. I don't know the diffrence between left and right when it comes to quarter horses.:D We have never had a quarter horse so maybe you guys and gals can tell me what are some of the common problems these horses have, anything you know about them. They are going to be me and my brothers horse. (we are still young (I am 16 he is 14)).
Trav

twp 12-15-2012 06:22 PM

Post pics, so we can see!! :)

redneckfordf2502002 12-15-2012 06:43 PM

I haven't seen them yet so I can't post pics. I am going tommorow I need to know what to look for.
Trav

Phly 12-15-2012 06:58 PM

QH are way to big of a group! What do you want? Big pleasure, small rodeo, stocky trail the list is endless! Good hooves, solid build, and a BRAIN! Or mindless. Depending on what u want.
Posted via Mobile Device

twp 12-15-2012 07:21 PM

Ask when the last time they were wormed, vaccinated, and if they have an utd coggins.. Don't buy anything with a runny nose, or anything gross looking on eyes, mouth, or nose area. Make sure, the hoovs aren't flared, and flat looking. Look at the manure, is it runny,weird looking, etc?.. Make sure they look healthy, and clean.. I like to know bloodlines, just because you have to be careful, when you hear the name "Impressive".. sorry to throw him under the bus, but It's true. make sure the horse isn't stiff, or gimpy. :) pick up the feet, pick them out, and have a better look. Look for stone bruising, thrush, etc, press the sole, to check for tenderness. I like to run my index, and thumb down the spine gently, but firm, just too see, if they twitch.

lilruffian 12-15-2012 07:22 PM

I agree, the QH breed varies TOO much to give an accurate description of common attitudes and ailments.
On the whole they are probably the most versatile breed out there. Many competition breds can be hot while others are incredibly docile.
Some have had the feet bred right out of them while others are hard as rock.
They are a VERY popular breed, though

Sharpie 12-15-2012 07:32 PM

QH have many, many different types. Some are pony height, some are over 16hh. There are lines bred to do nearly anything. Just like other horses, you need to look for a horse with a good solid build and conformation, a good mind and temperament, and the training to do what you need of them. I can't wait for pictures!

One thing to be careful of is that they can be prone to inherited diseases like HYPP and HERDA, so make sure the horses you're considering are free of those diseases and healthy for the task you need.

redneckfordf2502002 12-15-2012 07:45 PM

I will find out what kind tomorrow. Thanks guys like I said I don't know anything about quarter horses. I will only be using them for trailing horses.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002 12-18-2012 12:07 AM

Ok so we ended up getting them. They are older my vet said they are very healthy. Should be fun dealing with them my vet will be teaching more. Check out my picture thread of Tequila the paint mustang mix for more updates.
Trav

rookie 12-18-2012 05:58 PM

my only thought is watch the feet. I have not owned a QH but I have worked with some. They can be more prone to hoof issues in my experience, because some have a very big body on a very small foot. Which leads to issues. I would look for soundness in mind and gait above all else.