The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Is bathing bad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bathing-bad-146793/)

crom5 12-15-2012 08:51 PM

Is bathing bad?

If you have a horse that never rolls, Why bother to bath?, Should you bath your horse a few times in the summer? Or not bother to bath if you have a healthy, Shiny, Silky coat on your horse..
Is bathing bad, I heard if you bathe alot your horses coat can ruin, Do you need to bathe a horse, Or if you dont need to, dont bother bathing at all?..

Sharpie 12-15-2012 08:53 PM

Bathing isn't bad, though you don't want to do it too often (multiple times a week) as it can dry out their skin. If you can keep your horse clean without bathing though, there's no need to bathe 'just because.' My horse sweats and rolls a lot, so he gets hosed down after riding when it's warm enough and bathed once a month or so because it's hard for me to keep him from getting grimy otherwise.

LuLuSwoozie 12-18-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpie (Post 1801224)
Bathing isn't bad, though you don't want to do it too often (multiple times a week) as it can dry out their skin. If you can keep your horse clean without bathing though, there's no need to bathe 'just because.' My horse sweats and rolls a lot, so he gets hosed down after riding when it's warm enough and bathed once a month or so because it's hard for me to keep him from getting grimy otherwise.

I agree! One of the reasons I bathe is because I have a white horse. His nickname is Pig Pen, that should tell you all you need to know. Also when I started taking care of a 28yr old Tennessee Walker mare, she had rain rot and LOTS of salt came off her when I bathed her. Like Sharpie said, if he is really sweaty after you ride him and when its hot enough, I don't think a hosing down would hurt.:lol:

PaintHorseMares 12-18-2012 02:45 PM

The only time we wet our mares is when they are sweating after a ride on a hot day. Never bathed with any type of soap. We just curry/brush when needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

aldebono 12-18-2012 03:00 PM

In the summer, they get hosed after a ride because they are so sweaty. I bathe the night before a show and I like to get in a bath before it gets too cold in the winter. Then spring they usually get a betadine bath if they have rain rot or the generic scuzz.

rbarlo32 12-18-2012 03:53 PM

Only bath mine for shows as they are not ridden and live out 24/7 so need the oil in their coats. If they are rugged or stabled when wet after a bath then it is fine.

Casey02 12-18-2012 05:02 PM

I personally give my horse a full out bath like once a year.. and its ruined as soon as I take him off the lead HA. I don't see the need if your horses coat is healthy and you are not showing, a good brushing will do!

Bluebird 12-19-2012 03:29 AM

I never bath either of my boys. However, they do get a hose down in teh SUmmer when it gets very hot and they love it.

EquineGirl1965 12-22-2012 10:53 AM

I've had Amber for five months and in that time, she's had three baths. She needs another one now. She does sweat a lot and has salt marks on her from our last ride this week. Brushing is great but it doesn't always get the sweat/salt off the coat or skin...and I scrape and brush after every ride.

Sammy has had two baths in four months. He's also had his sheath cleaned (was rather grotty when we got him).

Flossie is my latest, a mare rescued from a public auction just this month. She is quite thin but as it's warmer weather (we are in summer down under!) she has had one quick bath so far. She's going to have another when she gains a bit more weight as she's still really really grubby.

secuono 12-22-2012 10:59 AM

I never bathe mine and never will, unless they end up gooped with mud or get sick and their rear ends need it.

Too much bathing is bad, but never is natural.