The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is my Farrier being honest? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-farrier-being-honest-146827/)

equinelyn 12-16-2012 05:55 AM

Is my Farrier being honest?

My friend and I use the same farrier. He charges me $35 for a trim on my barefoot horse. And my friend pays about $90 for front shoes on her paint mare. My friend had a bad fall/injury (fractured back, pelvis and tailbone) and was told by doctors she couldn't ride for a while. So she decided to pull her mares shoes and wanted to see how she would do barefoot. She has owned this horse for about a year, bought from New Holland auction and had shoes on her ever since. When she starts riding again soon she will stick to light ring work which will include walk/trot in a small grass ring. She's never done any hard riding, maybe an occasional trail ride.

So when she told the farrier she wanted to pull the shoes, he got upset with her and said that her horse has soft feet and gave her a big lecture. He charged her $45 to pull them & trim. This was a few days ago. The mare doesn't seem lame or ouchy yet, even when walking across the gravel parking lot near the barn.

So my question is, do farriers charge more to pull shoes? Or did he UP the price because he was mad, and will not be making as much money from this client? And should I trust this farrier or find another one? I've only used him a few times honestly so I'm still feeling him out (My beloved long time farrier who specializes in barefoot trimming is terminally ill :-( ) After this new guy trimmed my one gelding he lightly rasped the whole front of the hoof up to less than an inch above the coronary band (i guess to smooth it out and make it look good?) I didn't know what to say, because from what I understand you are not supposed to remove ANY natural protection of the hoof!!!

OutOfTheLoop 12-16-2012 07:25 AM

Was he supposed to pull the shoes for free? I don't think 45$ is q bad price.
Posted via Mobile Device

equinelyn 12-16-2012 07:35 AM

That's why I was asking. I've only used the same farrier for years, and have had 2 horses shoes pulled to go barefoot and he never charged anything extra from what I remember. But things may have changed as far as pricing. And my farrier was amazing, personally and professionally. I'm going to miss him...

HowClever 12-16-2012 07:43 AM

My farrier charges $10 to pull shoes (on top of the $45 trim charge).

equinelyn 12-16-2012 07:46 AM

OK good that makes me feel better!! I guess I should have named the thread "Does your farrier charge to pull shoes?" lol

Cacowgirl 12-16-2012 08:28 AM

When a farrier rasped my horse's hooves, I also was taken aback. I believe they should have it left natural & I did get him to stop doing it, but I had to be right there, & always tell him NO.

poppy1356 12-16-2012 08:54 AM

They rasp the outside because if the wall is too thick that is how cracks start (or something like that I can never remember exactly what he says) cracks are always mechanical, but since doing that her hooves are crack free.

My farrier doesn't charge to pull shoes but then again a trim is $50 and I always schedule the next appointment at my current one.

loosie 12-17-2012 01:07 AM

Hmmm, never thought of charging money for pulling shoes - thanks for the idea guys! 8-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1801702)
When a farrier rasped my horse's hooves, I also was taken aback. I believe they should have it left natural & I did get him to stop doing it, but I had to be right there, & always tell him NO.

Don't get how this is relevant to the thread, or what exactly you mean, but with Poppy's reply, guessing you mean rasping the outer wall. It's your horse, so your right to say what can/can't be done (unfortunately, in some situations IME), but if you're not very knowledgeable about hooves & trimming, I would entertain the thought that quite possibly the farrier has good reason for wanting to do it & it may be to the horse's detriment not to. I always advise owners to be present when a horse is trimmed & won't trim unattended horses myself - for my sake as well as the horse.

Quote:

They rasp the outside because if the wall is too thick that is how cracks start
Nope, it must be the 'or something':lol::wink:. Outer walls can be rasped to eliminate flares & 'back up' toes, but it's the mechanics and balance from the ground surface that causes/cures cracks & flares(very basically). Over thinning the outer wall, particularly if it's weightbearing, can also cause cracks. As a rule, I don't like to 'dress' the outer wall more than about 1/4 - 1/3 up the hoof capsule.

poppy1356 12-17-2012 08:35 AM

Haha yea I really can never remember anything anyone says, I really need to write everything down. All I know is whatever he does keeps her hooves from getting cracks. There is still one that is almost grown out but that is from before I got her. And no he doesn't rasp all the way up.

Op- why not just ask the farrier why he charged extra? I have heard of farriers charging to pull shoes though.

Joe4d 12-17-2012 08:50 AM

sommethings have to be taken in to consideration and context. SO really cant answer your pricing questions. Case in point.
My farrier charged me $20 for a trim, one day he came out charged me $40..... sounds bad. And is an example of how the media lies by telling the truth.
Ok the rest of the story,,, I live in BFE, I had one horse full shod, one horse half shod, and one old guy that just got trimmed, so 90, 70 and 20,,, later old guy died, half shod, went away, wasnt riding full shod, so only needed a trim, so $40. and I dont blame him and had no problem paying, Basically a $20 fuel and drive time surcharge to come out and do only one horse trim.

Now as far as the quality of your guy thats a different story and may need more research. DOesnt sound like your friends horse needs shoes but I wouldnt second guess another mans work without seeing it. I have seen horses that needed shoes whether they were being ridden or not.