The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What is a counter canter ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-counter-canter-146829/)

OliviaMyee 12-16-2012 06:52 AM

What is a counter canter ?

What is a counter canter ? My lease horses previous owner said he did counter canter. So i would like to know what counter canter is. btw i know i could just look it up on youtube but my downloads are running slow :( and i don't trust google for looking up this, as i looked up some other things about horse riding techniques that i knew about and the stuff on google was wrong, or didn't show 2 sides.

Chiilaa 12-16-2012 07:40 AM

It is when the horse canters on the "wrong" lead, with the bend in their body to the outside, intentionally. In dressage, it is a fairly advanced movement, and calls for the horse to be listening to the rider and not just following their own ideas - they must not "auto change".

Jore 12-16-2012 08:22 AM

Chiilaa summed it up nicely. Although, I didn't know it was an advanced maneuver, we always worked on it with our horses in lessons.

OliviaMyee 12-17-2012 10:05 AM

Thanks i will see if i can get ma horse on the wrong canter lead.

jaydee 12-17-2012 10:14 AM

I cant improve on the posts already made and its always good to be advancing yourself and your horses but unless your horse is well balanced and flexible and 100% responsive to normal lead and lead changes I would put this one on the back burner for a while!!!

OliviaMyee 12-17-2012 07:31 PM

Yeah he nearly allways goes on the correct lead (in the arena not when bolting around in the paddock while jumping) , i have done a couple of flying changes with him when i have asked, but because i didnt keep working on the flying changes he is rusty on that. I will work on flying changes before counter canter, but he learns really fast and he is very fit, forward and good on both sides of his body to be bent. I think he is actually pretty educated in dressage but i have other prioraties that would come before counter canter like improving extended trot and all extensions of each gait really.

waresbear 12-17-2012 07:41 PM

If you ever compete in a "Command Class", that is something they ask for, thins the class quite a bit, not many can do it.

OliviaMyee 12-18-2012 04:41 AM

Rode the horse today, and asked for counter canter he responded correctly 2 times out of 3 so i guess he still remembers it. Also tried doing some flying changes :( but didn't get any. Happy i got correct lead changes though. Also worked through all gaits extending and i think i got a really good extended trot ! I just need an instructor to let me know what they think. Any ways it felt like i was floating across the ground in extended trot or lengthened trot what ever it was he was trying his best ! XD