The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Im breeding my Mare to this stud, but i cant figure his color out??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/im-breeding-my-mare-stud-but-146842/)

BackwoodsBaby 12-16-2012 10:17 AM

Im breeding my Mare to this stud, but i cant figure his color out???
 
3 Attachment(s)
His owner says he was palomino when he was born then he went to a dunskin color now he almost looks gray or white lol, but he never throw a plain colored foal. His Dam is JR Holiday and Sire is Skip N Adios. So any ideas on his color, Would just like to know.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 122057[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Chiilaa 12-16-2012 10:25 AM

He looks grey because he is grey.

BarrelracingArabian 12-16-2012 10:41 AM

Yup he is grey and most likely your foal will end up grey as well.

BackwoodsBaby 12-16-2012 10:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
this is my mare a grade quarter horse, and i was wondering, what color the foal might be. i know that it would be a guessing game but i would like a guess of what i might get.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 122060[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Chiilaa 12-16-2012 10:51 AM

You need to test your mare for lethal white overo before anything else. That should be your focus first - ensuring a healthy, live foal.

BarrelracingArabian 12-16-2012 10:54 AM

I agree with chiila. But to answer your question no clue what the foal might be born but i believe grey is dominant and while there's no way to tell how fast / slow it'll happen he/ she will probably end up greying out. You definitely should get your mare tested though before you breed not after.

BackwoodsBaby 12-16-2012 10:56 AM

okay i was going to do that when she goes to the vet for shots and check up. but still what would you guess?

BarrelracingArabian 12-16-2012 10:59 AM

I just told you i can not say what the foal will be born but it will most likely grey out like the sire did.

BackwoodsBaby 12-16-2012 11:00 AM

and i sent my comment before i saw yours sorry.

Chiilaa 12-16-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackwoodsBaby (Post 1801820)
okay i was going to do that when she goes to the vet for shots and check up. but still what would you guess?

The vet doesn't test for it, you have to pull hairs and send them to a lab. It is hugely important that you do this - if your mare is positive, and the stallion is positive, then you have a one in four chance of a foal that will die a slow, painful death within 72 hours of birth.

Lethal White Overo - Horse Coat Color

In terms of colour, no, it is not definite that the foal would be grey. I would assume that the stallion is only carrying one grey gene, since you said he has thrown coloured foals. That would give you 50% chance of grey. You said that he was palomino when born - a relatively easy colour to work with in terms of genetics. Crossed with your mare, there is a 50% chance the foal will be chestnut/sorrel, and 50% chance the foal will be palomino. Adding this in to the grey part, you have a 50% chance of grey, 25% chance of palomino, and 25% chance of chestnut.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0