The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Ajusting horse to hoof boots (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/ajusting-horse-hoof-boots-146845/)

Poneigh 12-16-2012 01:37 PM

Ajusting horse to hoof boots

Now that the ground is frozen I want to have my horse starting wearing her hoof boots for turn out (per the farrier)
Any tips or suggestions for getting her used to them? I have heard that you shouldnt just throw them on and turn them out all day.

Also they have been fitted and everything. I just want advice about getting her used to them.

Thanks!

Poneigh 12-16-2012 09:00 PM

anyone? I know there are a lot of hoof boot users out there!

Missy May 12-16-2012 11:50 PM

It has been my experience that different horses have different "learning curves" w boots. For just turn out I would just put them on her and observe. The only time it is a concern initially, IMO, is if the terrain is varied (e.g., steep then level or rocky on some inclines). If her turn out is flat and reasonably uniform, there is really no reason not to put them on her see how she adjust, and let her go for many hours then check for rub marks and fit. If the area is muddy, you will have to clean them frequenlty. I have never put them on in the ice, so that I cannot speak to.

loosie 12-17-2012 02:16 AM

Hi,

May be stating the obvious, but if your horse is so bad that she can't go bare in her paddock, I'd want to get an equine vet to do some xrays too. Do you know what the problem is exactly?

Agree with Missy, that it may well be perfectly fine... & may not, so supervise the first couple of times at least & play it by ear. Rubbing is also a common problem with hoof boots being left on in the paddock - riding boots are not designed for 24/7 use - so frequent checking is important until you're confident they'll be OK.

You will need to take her boots off, clean them & treat her feet & give her dry footing at least once daily for an hour or so too.

Poneigh 12-17-2012 08:51 AM

thanks for your advice! I will definitely keep an eye on her especially the first few days.
Loosie, I am not using them because she is lame or anything it is to keep her hooves from getting chipped up on the frozen ground...farrier pulled her front shoes to help her feet grow this winter bc she kept loosing one of them but it kind of defeats the purpose if she goes out on frozen ground and chips the c*** out of them!
Also she will only be wearing them during the day, he said not to leave them on over night in the stall. She goes out from about 9am to 4pm.

walkinthewalk 12-17-2012 09:00 AM

Whose boots are you using? If they are Rx boots they can't be left on for more than a few hours. I think I read around four hours but I can't remember.

If they are from the EasyCare line of trail riding boots (and they have been properly fit to the horse), they can stay on for up to 12 hours daily, maxmum.

I kept Boas and Lily pads on my foundered horse, every day, from the second week of March to October 18th. No more than 12 hours however. Joker walked off in those boots like he'd gone to Heaven but, he was foundered pretty bad in both fronts.

Boas are a semi-agressive grip boot, so the grip also might make a difference to your horse.

EDITED TO ADD: Yes, ditto Loosie. I forgot -- wash the insides of the boots EVERY NIGHT with warm water and Dawn dish soap. Buy yourself a long-handled household scrub brush that is small enough to get inside the boots. If you wash them at night, they will be dry by morning for turnout.

I also picked and then brushed my horse's hooves every time I put those boots on. I applied Absorbine Hooflex Thrush Remedy around the whiteline and the frog/sulci area as a preventative. Bad as he was foundered, his whiteline miraculously stayed in tact and he never developed thrush. Eight months of that was brutal on me but it was worth it to see his hooves stay healthy.

He comes in every night to a stall with grid mats and shavings, which always gave his hooves a chance to air out and dry out in a healthy manner:)

Hope this helps:-)

Poneigh 12-17-2012 09:04 AM

im using delta hoof boots

Joe4d 12-17-2012 02:31 PM

Im thinking you have a farrier issue instead of a hoof boot issue. Sounds kinda odd to me to boot a non injured horse all the time just to wonder around the field.

Poneigh 12-17-2012 03:19 PM

Just wondering why this would be a bad idea since people use them for riding on rough terrain so why wouldnt I use them for turn out when the ground is cruddy and she has delicate bare feet?

Joe4d 12-17-2012 03:45 PM

because she's not being ridden, carrying extra weight, or being forced to maintain a specific gait and trail. Turned loose she will pick her way around and step lightly when she needs to, her feet will also toughen up.
Im not your farrier so maybe there are some underlying conditions he's treating. But if she is normal and sound just seems like an odd suggestion.