The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   For all you friesian cross lovers (or haters...) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/all-you-friesian-cross-lovers-haters-146873/)

SlideStop 12-16-2012 04:25 PM

For all you friesian cross lovers (or haters...)

I can see crossing a Friesian to give you some type of "sporty breed" with hopefully better movement. How about crossing them with a Saddlebred? Well, apparently, they are called a Georgia Grande horse...

And here is the link to the... you guessed it REGISTRY

What ever happened to plain old mutts or grades? Now everyone has a goldendoodle, quarter walkers, peekapoos... :-|

TexasBlaze 12-16-2012 04:31 PM

At least these guys are breeding quality individuals for a purpose. I kinda like em too! Probably would never have one but theyre sure nice to look at!

Failbhe 12-16-2012 04:33 PM

I used to work at a vet clinic as a receptionist. When a new client made an appointment we would put their and their pet's information in the computer, and we did not have a 'labradoodle' or 'goldendoodle' option (only 'lab x' or 'poodle x') and OH DEAR LORD those people got upset. "NO, HE'S A PUREBRED!!!" Well ma'am, was his father a lab? Yes. Was his mother a poodle? Yes. Well then he's a CROSS.

I realize that all new breeds are a result of crossbreeding, but geez.

FeatheredFeet 12-16-2012 04:52 PM

It is often very difficult, to make those who have paid big money for a crossbred with a cutesy name, to come to the understanding, that what they bought was basically, a mutt/grade animal. This of course, because many who breed such crosses, make a registry on their kitchen table and others believe because it is registered, is automatically something special. Goodness, even purebreds for hundreds of years and with legit registries, are not necessarily good examples of their breed.

It often comes down, to the fact that new buyers, often seem to do little or no homework, on the breed or dog/horse, they are considering.

Homework and research and plenty of it, is the key. This before ever jumping in and plonking down one's hard-earned money, on any animal.

Scam breeders make a whole lot of money, from those who do no research.

Lizzie

Skyseternalangel 12-16-2012 04:57 PM

All facts and sense aside, that is ONE gorgeous horse!!

Golden Horse 12-16-2012 05:01 PM

It is not purely a Friesian cross though,

Purpose of the Breed
The purpose of blending of the Saddlebred with the draft or Friesian is to produce offspring that are the perfect blend, having the best of both "worlds", resulting in the heavier boned, "old fashioned" or Baroque saddlebred type; Such is the magnificent Georgian Grande.

Registration requirements:
The horse seeking registration must be the Produce of an IGGHR registered Sire and Dam
OR
The bloodlines must be a blend of the saddlebred with Friesian, Clydesdale, Shire, Percheron, or Belgian, or Irish Draught; Registered Drum Horses and Gypsy Vanners ("aka" Gypsy horses") are acceptable provided they are registered within their own breed and have proof of pedigree. Spotted Draft horses must be registered with a spotted draft horse registry and must have a pedigree background of registered Friesian, Percheron, Clydesdale, Shire, or Belgian breeding. Proof of pedigree required.

The percentage of saddlebred can be up to 75% but never less than 25%. Many times people ask IGGHR if they can register a horse that is part Arab, TB, Morgan,etc. The answer to that question is no; The horse must be a blend of one or more of the above mentioned Friesian or draft breeds and saddlebred. No other combination will be accepted. The "light" horse in the pedigree must be Saddlebred and Saddlebred only.

So breeding for a purpose, looking for a type, mmmm each to their own.

I own an Arab x Saddlebred, people so Oh she's an American Sport Horse, err no, she is a part bred Arab, seeing as she was born in Canada, :lol:

If a cross is done for a good reason, I have no issue, if you want to call it something, no skin off of my nose.

SlideStop 12-16-2012 05:05 PM

The thing that gets me is that they say they are breeding for height/larger saddlebreds. 1) Can't you find a TALL saddlebred, and breed it to TALL saddlebreds? 2) They are gaited horses, when you cross them obviously they are going to lose some of that natural ability. It's not like they are crossing them with tall TWH.

DraftyAiresMum 12-16-2012 05:17 PM

Golden Horse, arab/saddlebreds are called National Show Horses in America. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 12-16-2012 05:21 PM

I am honestly NOT a fan of the Friesian crosses. I have seen so many of them and not liked most of them. I LOVE Saddlebreds and I love Friesians but not mixed. Most of the mixes to me just looked illebred. Big heads and not the best conformation. I know there are those that will try to make new breeds but in many cases it produces nothing special. I guess when you have such lovely breeds as these, why not just get one of the breeds that are already out there? I am not a "purebred horses/dogs only" person but I am also not a fan of tossing breeds together to throw out a designer name and big price tag for nothing special.

Golden Horse 12-16-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1802287)
Golden Horse, arab/saddlebreds are called National Show Horses in America. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Carp, it sounded wrong when I was typing it, should checked, oops:oops:

I like some draft crosses, a Friesian wouldn't be my first choice, but as I say other breeds can be in the cross.