The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Favorite bit to use? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/favorite-bit-use-146883/)

horsietori 12-16-2012 05:24 PM

Favorite bit to use?

Just wondering, what does everyone prefer to use bit-wise for their horse while on the trail?
I personally never use a bit on the trail. I love using my Indian hackamore. My mare LOVES it and for her and I, trail riding is relaxing time. When I use a bit on her it means it is time to work. Last year for the annual Judged Trail Ride I used my Indian hackamore. My mom begged me to bring a bit but I told her I didn't need it. I even got scored HIGHER for not using a bit!!! 7 of 10 judges were like "WOW! You don't have much control over your horse. How do you feel safe without a bit???" I was like "I have faith in my horse and I've trained her well enough that I trust she won't act like an idiot on the trail. I've never needed a bit for her. So I guess good training and trust. I ride her bridleless all the time. I have no need for a bit unless I'm showing but that is only because I have to have one."

SorrelHorse 12-17-2012 05:35 PM

I don't bit for control or go lighter for trust, I go for wahtever my horse works best in and what she responds to. I don't care if we're competing or on the trail.

Generally speaking though, a snaffle.

smrobs 12-17-2012 05:51 PM

Depends on which horse I'm riding and what kinds of trails I'm going to ride and what my mood is that day. Sometimes I ride in nothing more than a halter, sometimes in a simple snaffle, and other times I ride in one of my curb bits...it all just depends.

DraftyAiresMum 12-17-2012 06:29 PM

I prefer to use an eggbutt frenchlink snaffle on Aires all the time, but lately he's preferred the Little S hackamore we have. Not that we use the bit/hack for anything more than stopping, really. He was pretty much born broke and prefers working off leg pressure rather than the bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsietori 12-17-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1803861)
I prefer to use an eggbutt frenchlink snaffle on Aires all the time, but lately he's preferred the Little S hackamore we have. Not that we use the bit/hack for anything more than stopping, really. He was pretty much born broke and prefers working off leg pressure rather than the bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's exactly how my mare is :)

bsms 12-17-2012 08:06 PM

Well, a full cheek waterford just arrived in the mail today. I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm not saying Mia is a pill, but I'm thinking of getting some saddlebags that will hold a car battery, and run some wires down thru the reins, and put a big red button on my saddle horn. The big red button will have "Whoa!" written on it. And if Mia can't read, well that's just too bad for her!

Just adding that in case this turns into one of those threads where everyone else is boasting of a horse who stops anytime they sneeze, or even increases their Vitamin C intake. Mia stops on leg pressure too. All I have to do is squeeze hard enough and long enough that she can't breath. She usually stops just before she faints. :D

Painted Horse 12-17-2012 08:12 PM

Thats a good one BSMS.

I'd have a seriously pulled groin muscle if I squeezed that hard.

SorrelHorse 12-17-2012 08:28 PM

Selena's so fat that if I squeeze the fat just disperses and absorbs it. :rofl:

Cinnys Whinny 12-17-2012 08:30 PM

I like to use an indian hackamore too. Or I go with my Happy Mouth double jointed snaffle. I prefer my horse to stop because I ask properly with my seat, not because he's afraid I'm going to yank his jaw off :)

OneFastHorse 12-18-2012 01:23 AM

There's really only two bits I EVER use period. For trails, flat work, competition (barrel racing).

1. Little S Hackamore
2. Myler Comfort Snaffle with a roller

Occasionally I will use a little short shanked and/or gag bit with a broken mouth piece such as a Jr Cowhorse or an Argentine Snaffle, but not too often.