The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Poop Tail in Winter :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/poop-tail-winter-146906/)

Poneigh 12-16-2012 09:07 PM

Poop Tail in Winter :(

Any advice on cleaning my horse's poopy tail? Its too cold to wash it this time of year!
He has a not-so-great colon so he usually has a little bit of loose poops but he recently got very bad diarhhea and that made his tail even worse than usual!

Phly 12-16-2012 09:24 PM

We usually use baby oil to brush out tangles and the such
Posted via Mobile Device

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 12-16-2012 09:38 PM

since my horse has a white tail I have to wash it every now and then otherwise it'll stain the tips of her beautiful snow white tail yellow and rust colors. When I do I try to do it on a relatively "warm" (above freezing) day in the afternoon; then when I wash it I use a bucket of water, shampoo, and towel dry. I've not had issues with freezing. Otherwise, I use magic groom and cowboy magic in between.

Poneigh 12-16-2012 09:41 PM

thanks for your advice! yeah he has a white tail too, and a hind stocking and sock, so they get pretty gross too. I am able to clean his legs pretty well with just the curry but the tail is a whole other story...I will look into the baby oil...unfortunately idk when/if there will be a warm enough day to wash his tail...we dont have hot water or even a real wash stall at the barn :/
If I do get the chance I will try and wash it and maybe bag it for the winter!

Mochachino 12-17-2012 02:12 AM

I will sometimes, when really bad, wash it in a bucket and then condition it, comb it out, use a towel to get it dry as possible and then, because I desensitized him to it, blow dry it! Sometimes when it is clean I will bag it up to just keep it that way for awhile.

michaelvanessa 12-17-2012 07:42 PM

keeping a tail white

if your horse is stabled i think a tail bag would help you.

Poneigh 12-17-2012 07:49 PM

thanks for your advice! he goes out during the day but is stabled during the night.
He might be okay with a blow dryer...he saw one once and didnt go balistic!

crom5 12-17-2012 10:34 PM

Baby wipes, Detangualer, Warm wet towel, Mane & tail brush. should clean it all up.

DraftGuy 12-18-2012 11:11 AM

I hate poopie tail....

Poneigh 12-18-2012 02:35 PM

Thanks! I will def. try the baby wipes, I dont even care if its still stained at all mostly just want to make him not so gross! My poor buddy!