The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myler vs "regular" snaffles

10K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  SorrelHorse 
#1 ·
Hey there guys!

I'm going to be getting my first horse soon, and this means choosing out bits. I really like what I've seen/heard about Myler brand bits, but have never used one. My experience has mostly been with loose ring french link and single joint snaffles. I do know basic bit stuff, but I don't want to be spending 70-90 dollars on a bit that may not be great.

So, I was wondering if someone could give me more information on how the Myler brand works compared to french link and single joints, and any other information on any of the three. I know Myler is a brand and produces the other types of bits, but that's my extent of knowledge other than some of my barn friends have them.

I'll be riding an OTTB, green or track broke. I'm only looking at these bits as they are fairly mild, and I have some experience with them, or good reviews for them

#3 ·
Myler Comfort Snaffle Dee Ring Bit | Dover Saddlery

I have this Myler bit. And it is by far my favorite bit to use on any horse! I have 4 horses, and all of them love this bit and work amazingly well in it.

Each side moves independently. It doesnt pinch. My horses work so well in it they get foamy lips (which is a good thing) They are soft and supple in it. It was well, well worth the money. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
I've heard great things about the Myler and when looking at them in person they seem great - good joins and movement - but I just can't justify spending that much on bit!

I use French/KK snaffles and they are good. If I meet someone again who has a Myler I might borrow it but I'm not going to go out and buy one if I don't need one, especially if it might not end up being right for my horse!

#5 ·
I use a Myler comfort snaffle on my haflinger for the secific reason that it fits the shape of her mouth and tongue and so she is much happier, I don't use mylers on any of my other horses just on the haffy so it entirely depends upon the horse, it's mouth and it's issues.

#6 ·
As with everything - it depends. I tried Myler, and my horse didn't like it.

#7 ·
I used to use mylers but stopped because the one I had wasn't dressage legal. I switched to KK bits and I LOVE them. I use it on all the OTTBs I ride (currently I own one and have 3 in training) and I find that they go beautifully in them. There is something special about the middle bean that is rotated at a certain angle so that it doesn't press up into the horses palet. Thoroughbreds have a much lower palet then many horses and for example, my horse tries to dump me the second I put anything with just a single joint in his mouth.

Long story short: I like mylers but I like KKs better.

Herm Sprenger KK Ultra Aurigan Loose Ring - 18mm - Loose Ring Snaffles from SmartPak Equine
- cons: theyre more expensive now that I look at both of them =/

#9 ·
I used to use mylers but stopped because the one I had wasn't dressage legal. I switched to KK bits and I LOVE them. I use it on all the OTTBs I ride (currently I own one and have 3 in training) and I find that they go beautifully in them. There is something special about the middle bean that is rotated at a certain angle so that it doesn't press up into the horses palet. Thoroughbreds have a much lower palet then many horses and for example, my horse tries to dump me the second I put anything with just a single joint in his mouth.

Long story short: I like mylers but I like KKs better.

Herm Sprenger KK Ultra Aurigan Loose Ring - 18mm - Loose Ring Snaffles from SmartPak Equine
- cons: theyre more expensive now that I look at both of them =/
This is the same bit I use with my Percheron, Ahab, but he needs a 61/2" bit. I had to special order it.

#8 ·
KKs are very nice bits (although pricey). I had one on my paint till I gave a try to Mikmar (because my qh preferred Mikmar out of everything I tried on her, including KK and Myler). She liked Mikmar more, so I stick to it.

Mikmar is similar design to KK (but cheaper, and different material).

#10 ·
I do really love Myler bits. I do own other nice quality bits too that aren't Mylers. I don't think it is necessarily the one brand, but how they are made and the type of metals used. When you buy the cheaper versions that are made out of plain stainless steel and have no consideration for the horses mouth in shape, you get what you pay for. I think the important thing is to find bits that have the right fit for the horse with metal type, shape, size, width and severity. Myler just happens to have many to choose from and can help by letting you know which level each bit is suited for. They custom make the bit variations too. My percheron wears a 7" bit, which is a rare find by just searching the normal places, and if you find one, there aren't many choices besides driving bits. So Myler will make one to suit the horse. You definately pay the price, but that's part of owning such a large horse and having a quality bit.

#11 ·
I don't have expensive bits. They are all off label or noname bits except my curb on my double which is arugian and was also a gift. What is important is the shape and size of the bit and if your horse likes it or not. A big consideration is the thickness of the bit, too large and it will be uncomfortable in the horse's mouth, too small and it will be too harsh.
Find out what the owner now is using, and buy one of those. I find my horses go great in the three jointed or kk style bits, or a french link. But what is more important are the hands on the other end of the reins. You don't need a $200 bit, but you do need lessons and of saving money on the bit means you can buy more lessons, then get the cheaper bit. I've never found the really expensive bits to be any different...
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I use a KK Ultra 2-Type with my horse, and he does pretty well in it. When I first got him, I used a knock-off KK Ultra regular loose ring on him, and it ended up pinching the sides of his mouth a little (I wouldn't have even noticed if he didn't have pink skin)

I recently tried out both the Myler Level 1 & 2 comfort snaffles on him; I was curious about them after reading about them and asked my trainer. She uses them on her horses, so let me borrow for a couple rides. I didn't notice much difference between the Level 1 and my regular bit, but did notice him responding better in the Level 2. It wasn't a huge enough difference to run out and buy my own, but if I ever come across a bargain on one I'll probably get it. :)

#13 ·
I really am a fan of Mylers, but as with all bits and horses it depends on what they like, which Myler you get, and the shape of the bit vs. the mouth.

We have three Myler comfort snaffles at the moment. One level one smooth, a level 2 smooth, and a level 1 twisted. We also have several Myler shank bits in all the levels and various shank lengths. My mare loved the short shank level 2 but absolutely went crazy with the S shank level 3. My colt prefers the twisted level 1 snaffle, anything higher than a level 1 and he doesn't like it much.

I would see about borrowing before you buy one, in differant levels. The higher the level the more tongue relief you get but also the more palate pressure you get. You don't want to end up with a level 3 because someone else's horse works great in it only to find your horse has a shallow palate and can't accomodate a bit like that, but they could manage a level 1 or 2 and still enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.