The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What are some Breeds that may not have been heard of, or not very common? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-some-breeds-may-not-have-146919/)

amberly 12-16-2012 10:40 PM

What are some Breeds that may not have been heard of, or not very common?

I have two horses - Golley and Brisco. They are Blazers. Never heard of one? Honestly, I'm not very surprised. Blazers are not very common - at least ad far as I know.
Blazers were first bred in Star, Idaho by Neil Hinck - the founding father. He combined the Morgan, American Quarter Horse, American Saddlebred, and the Thoroughbred. Little Blaze was the first Blazer - bred in 1959.
Blazers are bred to be no smaller than 13 hands and no bigger than 15 hands. However, one of my horses (Brisco) is white, has blue eyes, and is about 17 hands. He is a blazer, he just can't be registered as one because Blazers technically cannot be white, or blue-eyed.

CLaPorte432 12-16-2012 10:43 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Do you have pictures? Or links? Is there a real, recognized registry for them?

Never heard of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 12-16-2012 10:47 PM

Yes, I have profiles for both of my horses. They are registered as Blazers - it is a real breed. haha! Most people haven't heard of them. As far as I know, almost all of them are in Idaho.

CLaPorte432 12-16-2012 10:55 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Very interesting. I googled them. They look like a Quarter Horse.

Im guessing your white with blue eyed horse is really a cremello. If they accept buckskin and palomino, why would they not accept a cremello if they recognize diluted colors in the breed?
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 12-16-2012 10:58 PM

Actually, Brisco is not a Cremello. His color is white. He always looks cremello in pictures and far away, but he is a white. Either way he wouldn't be registerable because he is past 15 hands highand he has blue eyes. Blazers eyes are brown. Or supposed to be anyways.

Kilokitty 12-16-2012 11:04 PM

White? Like a white grey? What colour is his skin?

amberly 12-16-2012 11:06 PM

His skin is pink, which with his white fur makes him a white - not a grey.

CLaPorte432 12-16-2012 11:10 PM

893 Attachment(s)
There is no such thing as a white horse. Genetically it is impossible. Unless your referring to a OLWS (Lethal White) and they die at just days old due to their digestive tract not being fully formed.

The blue eyes is why i say cremello, along with the fact of there being no such thing as a "white" white horse.

Breeding 2 single dilutes...Palomino, buckskin, smokey black, smokey cream, smokey brown etc, will result in a double dilute. (Cremello or perlino)

Since they recognize the single dilutes, i dont get why they wouldnt recognize the double dilutes as well.

But oh well, genetics never lie.
Posted via Mobile Device

MelissaAnn 12-16-2012 11:14 PM

cremellos have pink skin and blue eyes. He is most likely a double dilute chestnut.

Kilokitty 12-16-2012 11:14 PM

^ What Cla said. Greys don't usually have blue eyes. Cremellos always do. There's no pure white horse. No horse has white skin. Greys have black skin but can appear white. You still don't call him white.