The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How to know what size saddle to get? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-know-what-size-saddle-get-146938/)

kavalon 12-17-2012 02:05 AM

How to know what size saddle to get?

Hi, I just recently switched riding disciplines from saddleseat to hunter jumpers. And Im in love with jumping. But I just need to know how do you know what size saddle you are? Like is it the same as saddleseat saddles? Cause I know the fit and position is totally different. I just need a little advice :-)

verona1016 12-17-2012 12:42 PM

Tree size is probably the same between those two types of saddles, but the seat size is definitely going to be different. 17.5" is "average", but it depends a lot of the length of your legs, your femur in particular, with longer legs needing a larger saddle (and vice versa)

Dustbunny 12-17-2012 12:56 PM

A good saddle shop specializing in tack for English disiciplines would be a good place to start looking. Do you have an instructor? They should be a wealth of information.
When you get ready to purchase I would not go looking online without knowing exactly what you are looking at...as in it would have been good to have seen a saddle and sat in it once you know how to fit you and a saddle and your horse together.

kavalon 12-17-2012 04:55 PM

Oh thank you guys so much! And yes I have very long legs lol. Im 5'9 and im all legs lol. But thank you guys so much for your advice it really helps!

unclearthur 12-19-2012 07:09 AM

Just be wary with seat sizes - the tree length/panel has to suit your horse because it needs to be unrestricted as much as possible for jumping. Saddleseat saddles tend to be way too long over the loins.

The length of your leg (mainly the femur) governs the forward angle of the flap you need rather than the seat size, which is more relevant to your overall build. Look at it this way - when you shorten stirrups your knee goes up and forward; your seat does not slide back in the saddle. Or it shouldn't, because that puts you behind the horse's movement.

If you can the best thing to do is sit on a selection with different seat sizes and flap-cuts to see what is most comfortable for you, then try to get something as near as possible but which fits the horse. I always say that the rider is fairly important but the horse's comfort comes first :)

ponysized 12-19-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 1806032)
Just be wary with seat sizes - the tree length/panel has to suit your horse because it needs to be unrestricted as much as possible for jumping. Saddleseat saddles tend to be way too long over the loins.

The length of your leg (mainly the femur) governs the forward angle of the flap you need rather than the seat size, which is more relevant to your overall build. Look at it this way - when you shorten stirrups your knee goes up and forward; your seat does not slide back in the saddle. Or it shouldn't, because that puts you behind the horse's movement.

If you can the best thing to do is sit on a selection with different seat sizes and flap-cuts to see what is most comfortable for you, then try to get something as near as possible but which fits the horse. I always say that the rider is fairly important but the horse's comfort comes first :)

Good advice here. Seat size has more to do with your legs than your actual "seat". For example, I'm short and small, but, I have long legs for my size. My seat can fit in a childs saddle, but my legs certainly do not. I therefore typically ride in a 16 or 16.5 close contact. When the seat gets deeper though, like a in dressage saddle, I typically have to move up to a 17 or sometimes even a 17.5 depending on the brand. It's good to sit in as many as possible as there is so much variety among brands.

kavalon 12-20-2012 03:41 PM

Thanks guys! It really helps :)

Tack Collector 12-20-2012 06:28 PM

English Saddle Seat Size Calculator

^ That's a saddle seat size estimator. I don't know how close it will hit it.

I'm a 19-20 saddleseat cutback, and a 16.5-17 close contact, that's about a "subtract 3" guideline. The Wintec saddles run about 1/2" big. The 16.5" Pro Jump cc was 17" nail to cantle and was too big. I bought a 16.5" Wintec Pro Dressage and it felt snug so I exchanged it for a 17" but I lost weight after that and I now think I should have kept the 16.5" LOL The exception in the Wintec line is the Isabell, which people say buy 1/2"-1" bigger due to its deep seat and setback stirrup bars.