The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Are they penalizing yet?! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/they-penalizing-yet-146987/)

thateqrider 12-17-2012 04:05 PM

Are they penalizing yet?!

I was just wondering if anybody knows if judges are penalizing horses with 4 beat loping, or peanut rolling which is basically the same, and over canting? Do you think 4 beating is pretty and acceptable for pleasure, or would you prefer a 3 beat slow, slow lope pushing from the hind end?

GottaRide 12-18-2012 10:19 AM

4 beating is so far gone from the show ring. It's time to get over it & move on like the rest of the WP world has.

Peanut rolling is NOT the same thing as 4 beating. Horses will still hang their heads low because it's where they want to carry themselves. Many times the riders have to work to get the horse to lift their heads.

Over canting is still happening, but I think the extreme presentations are not being placed. The horse will naturally have a slight canting when they have a deep reaching hock like a lot of the well bred WP horses have.

If you'd like to see examples of what does well in the show ring and what doesn't do well, I'd be happy to pick out some youtube videos to show examples.

GotaDunQH 12-21-2012 03:12 PM

Over-canting is seen ALOT at the NSBA shows, they seem to be ok with it. A few years ago, AQHA expressed their displeasure at the over-canting and I don't see it as much as AQHA shows.

TheAQHAGirl 12-28-2012 06:24 PM

As stated above the 4-beat is gone from the show ring. However they are yet still somewhat crab walking into the walls and and some heads are too low.

However in the warm up ring there are people who still do this to their horses...

Just a while ago AQHA judges announced that everybody will be extending their gaits (all of them walk, jog, and lope).

http://www.gohorseshow.com/article/A...Pleasure/38271

Hope that helps!

oh vair oh 12-28-2012 11:38 PM

Be the change you want to see in your association.

It gets a lot more accomplished than whining about it.

WSArabians 12-30-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 1818084)
As stated above the 4-beat is gone from the show ring. However they are yet still somewhat crab walking into the walls and and some heads are too low.

However in the warm up ring there are people who still do this to their horses...

PAST Western Pleasure fad...I called... HOW SLOW CAN THEY GO? - YouTube

Just a while ago AQHA judges announced that everybody will be extending their gaits (all of them walk, jog, and lope).

AQHA Judges Will Ask for Lengthened Strides in Western Pleasure - GoHorseShow.com

Hope that helps!

I'm to going to lie, that is the stupidest thing I've seen in awhile.
It looks like his horse is completely dead lame. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be. His neck, shoulders, and back must be killing him. :-|

BarrelracingArabian 12-30-2012 11:18 PM

Seriously that horse didnt look comfortable at all. Looked more like how a lame horse would move not only that but it doesn't look pleasurable to sit either. My back would be killing couldn't imagine that poor horse. I hope they do extend the gaits

blue eyed pony 12-31-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 1818084)

PAST Western Pleasure fad...I called... HOW SLOW CAN THEY GO? - YouTube

AQHA Judges Will Ask for Lengthened Strides in Western Pleasure - GoHorseShow.com

Hope that helps!

OMG... he looks like a dog about to puke. Seriously, that head bob is just ridiculous. Poor thing.

GotaDunQH 12-31-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1821608)
Seriously that horse didnt look comfortable at all. Looked more like how a lame horse would move not only that but it doesn't look pleasurable to sit either. My back would be killing couldn't imagine that poor horse. I hope they do extend the gaits

They have in AQHA for quite a few years now. In my WP classes at the AQHA shows, they have been asking for an extended jog AND a lope with increased forward motion for about 5 years now.

TheAQHAGirl 01-01-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 1821481)
I'm to going to lie, that is the stupidest thing I've seen in awhile.
It looks like his horse is completely dead lame. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be. His neck, shoulders, and back must be killing him. :-|

I honestly don't know how he got this horse to do that...feel sorry for the filly...