The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are they penalizing yet?!

5K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Jennakaaate 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anybody knows if judges are penalizing horses with 4 beat loping, or peanut rolling which is basically the same, and over canting? Do you think 4 beating is pretty and acceptable for pleasure, or would you prefer a 3 beat slow, slow lope pushing from the hind end?

#2 ·
4 beating is so far gone from the show ring. It's time to get over it & move on like the rest of the WP world has.

Peanut rolling is NOT the same thing as 4 beating. Horses will still hang their heads low because it's where they want to carry themselves. Many times the riders have to work to get the horse to lift their heads.

Over canting is still happening, but I think the extreme presentations are not being placed. The horse will naturally have a slight canting when they have a deep reaching hock like a lot of the well bred WP horses have.

If you'd like to see examples of what does well in the show ring and what doesn't do well, I'd be happy to pick out some youtube videos to show examples.

#4 ·
As stated above the 4-beat is gone from the show ring. However they are yet still somewhat crab walking into the walls and and some heads are too low.

However in the warm up ring there are people who still do this to their horses...

Just a while ago AQHA judges announced that everybody will be extending their gaits (all of them walk, jog, and lope).

http://www.gohorseshow.com/article/..._Lengthened_Strides_in_Western_Pleasure/38271

Hope that helps!

#6 ·
As stated above the 4-beat is gone from the show ring. However they are yet still somewhat crab walking into the walls and and some heads are too low.

However in the warm up ring there are people who still do this to their horses...

PAST Western Pleasure fad...I called... HOW SLOW CAN THEY GO? - YouTube

Just a while ago AQHA judges announced that everybody will be extending their gaits (all of them walk, jog, and lope).

AQHA Judges Will Ask for Lengthened Strides in Western Pleasure - GoHorseShow.com

Hope that helps!

I'm to going to lie, that is the stupidest thing I've seen in awhile.
It looks like his horse is completely dead lame. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be. His neck, shoulders, and back must be killing him. :-|

#9 ·
Seriously that horse didnt look comfortable at all. Looked more like how a lame horse would move not only that but it doesn't look pleasurable to sit either. My back would be killing couldn't imagine that poor horse. I hope they do extend the gaits
They have in AQHA for quite a few years now. In my WP classes at the AQHA shows, they have been asking for an extended jog AND a lope with increased forward motion for about 5 years now.

#11 ·
So happy this fad is gone. Two years ago, I took my grandpa to a larger show, where we watched the western pleasure class, and he made me get up and take him walking around the venders because he couldn't stand to watch "those lame horses forces to move around the arena."

#16 ·
I've seen some pretty bad lopes but oh my gosh. That horse has got to be lame. I can't understand why it would move like that if it wasn't. Heart breaking. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
As several people have stated, peanut rolling and 4-beating is a thing of the past at the breed shows. Some of the Not-so-Great trainers are still using methods that creating a fake finished look where the horse has his head down low but is traveling with all of his weight in the front and his pulling himself forward rather than pushing himself behind....

#23 ·
That poor horse just looks miserable. The trainer should be ashamed of himself, and the rider looks absolutely ridiculous sitting up there. Who in the hell thought that this would be a good idea?
Someone please rescue that Paint and bring it to my barn. I'd just turn him out to pasture and let him be a horse for the rest of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.