The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   should i get him polo wraps....? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/should-i-get-him-polo-wraps-146995/)

skyhorse1999 12-17-2012 05:01 PM

should i get him polo wraps....?

ok soo I have a 7 yo paint, I ride around 5 or six days a week, almost always I jump, even if its like over a log on a trail ride. usually when I'm jumping in the arena, the jumps get up to around 3 feet to 3'4 in the summer, 2'6-2'11 in the winter....should I get polo wraps or leg wraps or boots or something????none of the people I ride with do it on their horse, and when I asked my trainer she said no (that was a year ago though when 2 feet was extremely high for me and Rowdy)....but has it changed? I dont know, can you guys help?

EthanQ 12-17-2012 05:12 PM

I almost always use my polos for anything besides a simple walk through the pasture, but even then I sometimes use them. If put on properly(watch youtube vids on it) then there really is no harm that they will cause. Rather be safe than sorry.

SorrelHorse 12-17-2012 05:15 PM

It always baffled me the lack of boots with a lot of the jumpers. I'd be entirely too paranoid to not at least boot or wrap the fronts, either without support boots or splint boots and bell boots. I'd get them if it was me, in my english adventure we used open fronts and bells.

skyhorse1999 12-17-2012 05:31 PM

ok cause I've always been super paranoid and now that its winter and the ground is harder...I'll talk to my parents about getting them:)

Annanoel 12-17-2012 05:33 PM

I always have boots on, unless we're merely doing walk work. Depends on the boots or polos, but they supply support and protection. I would! Especially for jumping.

brittabam 12-17-2012 05:54 PM

I am not a big fan of polo wraps they are hard to put on, and most people put them on wrong.

I would get a pair of cheep neoprene boots. Here are some under $20
Equi-Prene Pro-Fit Jump Boots
Equi-Guard Gallop Boots

Personally, I always have boots on my horse when she jumps. It's extra protection.

NBEventer 12-17-2012 05:57 PM

Polos are not meant for jumping. Jumping with polos can actually be rather dangerous.

If you are worried about leg protection get boots, even a simple splint boot or open front boot.

smitty75 12-17-2012 06:07 PM

i never jump without boots on the front! its just not worth the risk no matter how low you are jumping. But especially as you start to increase the height. Honestly though, boots can be super cheap so WHY NOT you know? i would always rather be safe than sorry, but im very protective with my guy because he cost me so much and ive had to deal with injuries in the past with others. haha:)

Mochachino 12-17-2012 06:26 PM

No polos just boots. Much better protection.

Canterklutz 12-17-2012 08:03 PM

I never ride with polo wraps and never ever jump with polos. They are quite worthless IMO. At a show in my area, a horse's polo wrap started coming undone and got caught on the jump. The horse flipped over and broke its neck.

Woof boots are pretty nice for general flatwork and substantial enough for jumping. I think they cost somewhere between $20-30 per pair but are definitely worth it.

ETA and OT: Why does it say OP at the beginning of each post?