The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What type of bedding do you use? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-type-bedding-do-you-use-147026/)

PunksTank 12-17-2012 10:38 PM

What type of bedding do you use?

So I've been thinking alot about my horse's bedding - and I just love it! I use wood pellets, they are easy to clean, cheap if you buy in bulk, my horses are Always clean (I never get poo spots!) they're just awesome. So I'm left to wonder - why hasn't the entire world jumped on this band wagon? I see so many people using shavings and saw dust or straw or nothing at all!

So I figured I'd take a poll and see what everyone else uses
-wood pellets
-wood shavings
-saw dust
-straw
-nothing
-something completely different?

Pattilou 12-17-2012 11:03 PM

I have a barefoot horse and my horse is in a 50x60 pen. To support his barefoot "lifestyle":-) I keep the dirt as dirt and have pea gravel around where he has to walk for food and water.

When I originally took him barefoot I kept him in nice fluffy shavings ( it was so nice he stayed so clean :?) but my trimmer made the comment " that is like having him wear a pair of UGG boots and then you expect him to walk on the gravel "

Its all a learning process :D

JustWingIt 12-18-2012 12:03 AM

My boarding barn uses saw dust mostly because its cheap for them to get from the local mill etc. And with 40 stalls they can afford to put in more bedding by using cheaper bedding. I personally prefer shavings, but they are more expensive and my gelding doesn't seem to have any problems with the saw dust so whatever. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lockwood 12-18-2012 12:13 AM

I use a combo of about 75% wood pellets mixed with 25% fine bagged shavings. For us, it works better than just shavings.

SaddleStrings 12-18-2012 02:44 AM

Saw dust is the best for absorbency in my opinion, but I use shavings instead. I have some mild allergy issues and find the shavings are easier on me when cleaning stalls than the saw dust. I also add wood pellets to my shavings for added absorbing power.

Leadnloperanch 12-18-2012 05:57 PM

Natures Bedding Pellets and Pine Shavings are what my horses poop on :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey02 12-18-2012 08:51 PM

I use shavings, I don't thing saw dust is good to use because of the fine particles. Maybe its ok to use as a "first layer" and then put shavings or whatever on top?

riccil0ve 12-18-2012 08:57 PM

Pellet bedding. Lasts longer, more absorbent, less dust, cheap. It's a total win. A lot of people who don't like it are usually using it wrong [like not letting the wet stuff dry]. I use it for my cat litter too, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 12-18-2012 09:11 PM

Pine shavings in bulk. I bed very deeply and completely strip stalls every 2-3 days, as three of the five horses I keep at home are total stall pigs.

Leadnloperanch 12-18-2012 09:31 PM

I've got one of those nasty pig horses too...That one doesn't get bedding because she pees and craps WAY to much. Have to strip everyday anyways. Bedding would be a waste.
Posted via Mobile Device