The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Breeding Stock Paint Information! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breeding-stock-paint-information-147031/)

ksmith454 12-17-2012 11:18 PM

Breeding Stock Paint Information!

My filly is out of a Bay Tabiano, and a Buckskin Tobiano, both registered APHA, and came out a solid Buckskin, the only white is a star on her face. She is registered APHA. If I were to breed her to an AQHA, would I have to register her AQHA, making her double registered? I just need somebody who knows about APHA, AQHA, and breeding stock paints :). Thanks!

CCH 12-17-2012 11:28 PM

No. The SBP filly has tobiano bloodlines and is not eligible for AQHA papers.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksmith454 12-17-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCH (Post 1804218)
No. The SBP filly has tobiano bloodlines and is not eligible for AQHA papers.
Posted via Mobile Device

And why is this? Because her sire and dam were secondary bred?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 12-18-2012 12:34 AM

Both parents have to be registered with AQHA for the resulting foal to be registered with that association. APHA allows crosses with AQHA & TB's.

CCH 12-18-2012 12:43 AM

Because AQHA requires all horses to be registered with them in order to register their offspring, the only exception would be an AQHA/ jockey club horse registered as appendix.

The dual registered AQHA/APHA only applies to horses that are overo because tobiano is NOT part of AQHA. Any horse you see that is AQHA/APHA will have either AQHA parents or dual registered parents. Plus all of these horses must be DNA'd and parentage verified.

Just because an APHA horse is solid does not make it eligible for quarter horse papers. The part people have to understand is that splash overo, frame overo, and sabino are part of AQHA's lineage. Tobiano specifically is not. If you look at pedigrees, many tobianos go back to "unknown paint" very close up sometimes within 3-4 generations. AQHA as a breed does not, to my knowledge, have "unknown" listed near that close and they have strived to close the books and really become a breed. APHA wasn't founded until 22 years after AQHA. The associations closed books at different times and have had different rules regarding white requirements.

The dual registration started when AQHA rejected excessive white horses, so they obtained APHA papers. The lineage of the cropouts was still tracked and many of them did have DNA testing done. The registration business is about making money, so when enough of the membership was able to effect change, AQHA changed the white rules, and certain horses were allowed back in creating dual registration.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksmith454 12-19-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCH (Post 1804354)
Because AQHA requires all horses to be registered with them in order to register their offspring, the only exception would be an AQHA/ jockey club horse registered as appendix.

The dual registered AQHA/APHA only applies to horses that are overo because tobiano is NOT part of AQHA. Any horse you see that is AQHA/APHA will have either AQHA parents or dual registered parents. Plus all of these horses must be DNA'd and parentage verified.

Just because an APHA horse is solid does not make it eligible for quarter horse papers. The part people have to understand is that splash overo, frame overo, and sabino are part of AQHA's lineage. Tobiano specifically is not. If you look at pedigrees, many tobianos go back to "unknown paint" very close up sometimes within 3-4 generations. AQHA as a breed does not, to my knowledge, have "unknown" listed near that close and they have strived to close the books and really become a breed. APHA wasn't founded until 22 years after AQHA. The associations closed books at different times and have had different rules regarding white requirements.

The dual registration started when AQHA rejected excessive white horses, so they obtained APHA papers. The lineage of the cropouts was still tracked and many of them did have DNA testing done. The registration business is about making money, so when enough of the membership was able to effect change, AQHA changed the white rules, and certain horses were allowed back in creating dual registration.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, makes sense... So in the long run, the only way to breed my filly and have her offspring be registered, she must be bred to APHA? How can horses qualify to be double registered?

ksmith454 12-19-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1804345)
Both parents have to be registered with AQHA for the resulting foal to be registered with that association. APHA allows crosses with AQHA & TB's.

Thanks for the info! I had no clue that both parents had to be registered APHA.

DraftyAiresMum 12-19-2012 10:23 PM

APHA allows crosses to AQHA (quarter horse) and Jockey Club (thoroughbred) horses.

Perfect example. Look up my gelding's sire on allbreedpedigree.com. His name is Little Bit of Black. He has APHA, AQHA, *and* TBs in his lineage, but is registered APHA. He has Leo (AQHA) and Man o' War (TB) in his bloodlines.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksmith454 12-19-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1807059)
APHA allows crosses to AQHA (quarter horse) and Jockey Club (thoroughbred) horses.

Perfect example. Look up my gelding's sire on allbreedpedigree.com. His name is Little Bit of Black. He has APHA, AQHA, *and* TBs in his lineage, but is registered APHA. He has Leo (AQHA) and Man o' War (TB) in his bloodlines.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, thank you for the example. I wonder why APHA allows crosses with thoroughbreds? Interesting stuff here!!

BarrelRacer23 12-21-2012 05:04 PM

You can breed your solid paint to a AQHA and the foal can be registered, but as APHA. AQHA requires both parents to be AQHA or AQHQxTB. Really I don't know why you wouldn't just breed to a Paint and have a full Paint foal.
Posted via Mobile Device