The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Reining Breeds??? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/reining-breeds-147032/)

ksmith454 12-17-2012 10:24 PM

Reining Breeds???

I want to eventaully breed my buckskin filly in the future. I really love reining/working cow horse, and know of Doc Bar, Three Bars, Peppy San Badger, Doc O Lena... etc. Are theses considered good bloodlines for reining?

Here is my fillys pedigree: Paisleys Snow Drift Paint

What do you think of her as far as going in the direction of a reining/working cow horse?

Are there any studs you recommend for reining prospect of a future foal?

Thanks a BUNCH!! :-)

twp 12-17-2012 11:12 PM

Western pleasure.

nrhareiner 12-18-2012 12:01 PM

No not WP with that bottom side. Will not have the build or movement. She is all cutting bottom side and running top.

If you are looking to get a Reining or cow horse prospect out of this mare you need to pick one. There are a few sires who will sire both but since your mare has a bit if deveristy with the top side which in this case is not bad with the Three Bars. I would pick either a strong reining sire or a strong cow horse sire. Personally with this mare I would go cow horse as that is what she is bottom side and the added speed top side will not hurt.

Also bases on that picture on All breed. I would look for a sire with a much much stronger hip and rear end all the way back. Too sucked up to hold a good stop.

ksmith454 12-19-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1804870)
No not WP with that bottom side. Will not have the build or movement. She is all cutting bottom side and running top.

If you are looking to get a Reining or cow horse prospect out of this mare you need to pick one. There are a few sires who will sire both but since your mare has a bit if deveristy with the top side which in this case is not bad with the Three Bars. I would pick either a strong reining sire or a strong cow horse sire. Personally with this mare I would go cow horse as that is what she is bottom side and the added speed top side will not hurt.

Also bases on that picture on All breed. I would look for a sire with a much much stronger hip and rear end all the way back. Too sucked up to hold a good stop.

Thank You so much for the helpful imformation... So the top side you said had more racing lines, and the bottom was more cutting? I am still trying to learn more about bloodlines, and breeding, so all the imformation you could give me would be awesome! Also, what do you mean by sucked up? I agree with a stronger hip as well :-)

smrobs 12-19-2012 09:14 PM

I second everything that NRHA said. Beyond that, you'll just have to start looking at studs when you start getting closer to the time it comes to breed her. Any stud we mention now may not still be producing when that time comes...and there may be a whole new crop with different bloodlines.

What I would do is start diligently watching reined cow horse events, see what bloodlines are winning (and pick the winners that you like) and look into lines like those to see if they might match your mare.

It also depends on what level you're looking to do with her foal. If you're just looking for something that can get the job done and win at local/fun level, then you could likely widen your search to certain ranch bred studs. Many of them are also suitable for what you're wanting because they carry a fair bit of cowy breeding and also all-around performance breeding that would make them good reining horses too.

ETA:
Quote:

Originally Posted by twp (Post 1804306)
Western pleasure.

Not really sure where that came from :?. OP didn't say anything about western pleasure.

ksmith454 12-19-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1807030)
I second everything that NRHA said. Beyond that, you'll just have to start looking at studs when you start getting closer to the time it comes to breed her. Any stud we mention now may not still be producing when that time comes...and there may be a whole new crop with different bloodlines.

What I would do is start diligently watching reined cow horse events, see what bloodlines are winning (and pick the winners that you like) and look into lines like those to see if they might match your mare.

It also depends on what level you're looking to do with her foal. If you're just looking for something that can get the job done and win at local/fun level, then you could likely widen your search to certain ranch bred studs. Many of them are also suitable for what you're wanting because they carry a fair bit of cowy breeding and also all-around performance breeding that would make them good reining horses too.

ETA:

Not really sure where that came from :?. OP didn't say anything about western pleasure.

Thankyou for the info. Yes, I would like to show in higher events eventually, so I would like to breed to a good stud. For now I will take your advice and look at the winning bloodlines :D

nrhareiner 12-20-2012 09:26 AM

What I mean by sucked up it is also call wasp wasted too. SHe is narrow through the flank area. This is going to make it very very hard for her to hold the stop or turn a cow on the fence. Take a look at reining and reined cow horses and even cutting hores they are just about as think and deap in the flank as they are in the hart gurth.

nrhareiner 12-20-2012 09:29 AM

See how thick this mare is all the way back from the hart gurth back through the flank? That is what you want. This mare has a very good strong stop and I still look at stallions and use stallions that are even stronger in this area.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Cassie06-1.jpg

ksmith454 12-20-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1807562)
What I mean by sucked up it is also call wasp wasted too. SHe is narrow through the flank area. This is going to make it very very hard for her to hold the stop or turn a cow on the fence. Take a look at reining and reined cow horses and even cutting hores they are just about as think and deap in the flank as they are in the hart gurth.

Oh ok, yes I understand what you are saying. In this pictures she was only about 2 1/2-3 years old, and she has filled out a lot more now. Not sure if that makes much sense, lol :)

ksmith454 12-20-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1807564)
See how thick this mare is all the way back from the hart gurth back through the flank? That is what you want. This mare has a very good strong stop and I still look at stallions and use stallions that are even stronger in this area.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Cassie06-1.jpg

I can see what you are talking about. This horse looks fuller throughout te middle.