The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   silly question... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/silly-question-147036/)

countrylove 12-18-2012 12:17 AM

silly question...

What is the purpose of vacuuming a horse? To clean? Remove shedding hair? Is it just easier than brushing? Is it a special type of vacuum? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 12-18-2012 12:22 AM

It doesn't remove much shedding hair, tried it before, but it does remove a good amount of dust and dander.

countrylove 12-18-2012 12:25 AM

Is it just a lazy way of grooming?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 12-18-2012 12:28 AM

No, you still have to brush. A few years ago, they held a late autumn horse show, was way too cold to bathe, so I brushed the horse like crazy to bring up the dust & dander and then shop vac'ed him and toweled him down to bring up the shine. Lots of competitors who show every weekend will opt to blanket & vacuum instead of bathing each time. Bathing too much dulls the coat.

countrylove 12-18-2012 12:36 AM

So if I understand it is basically a waterless bath? And you can use a typical shopvac? What about a house vacuum? Special attachments? Or would the flat furniture attachment work?

Sorry I know its silly but I had never heard of this until I moved to a predominately show area.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 12-18-2012 12:45 AM

They have special horse vacs, they are quite expensive. I just used a shopvac and an electrolux, lol. I did use the brush attachment and then just the hose nozzle. It will not completely clean a dirty horse, that waxy dander only comes out when you wash a horse with water, but it removed the visible stuff so they look cleaner.

countrylove 12-18-2012 12:54 AM

I was just thinking that it could be useful for when we show horses to potential adopters. Right now it is too cold to bathe and the brush doesn't always cut it lol thanks sooo much for the info :)

Any tips, tricks, or do's and dont's?
Posted via Mobile Device