The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Ugh..this made me sad..again.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/ugh-made-me-sad-again-14712/)

RusticWildFire 09-15-2008 02:49 PM

Ugh..this made me sad..again..

So, I know some people on here are from other cultures, etc and I really don't want to offend anyone BUT this really upsets me.

In high school I had to do a research paper and I did it on KFCs cruelty to their chickens and learned some horrible things...You can do a search on it and find out for yourselves if you want.

Then, for speech class I had to do a speech on bullfighting and I found some really nasty things as well.

Well, now for college I have to do an argument with my group for pro-animal rights (I was the last to be able to sign up so this is what I was left with..well it was this or something at the end of the semester and theres too much going on then to leave it til then). So now all of this has been dug up again.
I was just doing some research for the project and came across stuff
http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/bullfighting.shtml
YUCK.

To make things clear I'm not like a PETA person or anything. I eat meat etc but I hate to think about what animals go through due to no choice of their own.

I went to Spain 4 years ago with my high school Spanish club and they just about made us go to a bullfight.... SO glad they didn't make us go. I could never sit there and watch that. The teacher was pretty upset with my friend and I for not wanting to go but I just couldn't have done it. I would have cried the entire time if they drug me in there.

I know I prolly sound really weird now and like one of those crazy people but I'm really not. I just hate reading about this stuff. It's so sad..so I had to vent!

Zanesgirl 09-18-2008 04:06 AM

Me, im not a supporter of PETA either, i eat meat, etc, but i in no way condone animal cruelty! bull fighting, dog fighting, cockfighting its all the same to me, absolutely abhorrent behaviour!

im glad you dug your heels in on the bullfighting thing, it would have been very traumatic for you, for anyone i reckon!

me, i guess im close to a pacifist, well sort of lol

anyway, happy to read your vent, and hope you feel better soon!

hugs for you

geewillikers 09-27-2008 01:56 AM

I don't think you sound weird at all.,Education can do wonders I won't get into all the detailed evidence I have regarding the meat industry in the US, or animals rights (because I'll probably get slammed), but man, it is great to have you on the forum. I feel quite alone here in respect to these issues. Thanks for posting.

RusticWildFire 09-27-2008 11:07 AM

Well good, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone either!! We got through our presentation and made a pretty good argument I thought. Like we said...eating meat isn't wrong. Both of us presenting the argument eat meat but things need to be done to ensure that the animals are treated well and slaughtered (I'm not so sure I like that word) humanely. Some nasty things ARE done and it's wrong. And like you (geewillikers) said I don't want to get into it either to start an argument or get slammed. We all have our opinions and such..and not every slaughterhouse is cruel. There are some good ones...but yeah anyway...before I go on a rant I'm just gonna smile :) haha!

Joshie 09-27-2008 11:55 AM

When you're researching things online please remember to check out the source. Much of the information you find about KFC, for example, is from PETA or similar organizations. KFC is huge. They don't own the chicken farms. They purchase chickens from farmers. KFC is in the restaurant business not the farming business.

RusticWildFire 09-27-2008 12:51 PM

Yeah, I know. I realize everything on the internet isn't true.

I also did a bunch of research on the KFC thing before and I know they don't own the farms. I may have made it sound like I thought they did earlier but I know they have "supplier farms" or whatever you want to call them..But still, just because they don't own the farms doesn't make it right.

geewillikers 09-27-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshie
When you're researching things online please remember to check out the source. Much of the information you find about KFC, for example, is from PETA or similar organizations. KFC is huge. They don't own the chicken farms. They purchase chickens from farmers. KFC is in the restaurant business not the farming business.

Understood. But KFC supports those farms and keeps them in business. All fast food and large scale food distributors support the worst farms of the meat industry. They are warehouses, not farms. Most animals are made in a test tube.

RusticWildFire 09-27-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geewillikers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshie

Understood. But KFC supports those farms and keeps them in business. All fast food and large scale food distributors support the worst farms of the meat industry. They are warehouses, not farms. Most animals are made in a test tube.

Exactly.

Deb 11-01-2008 10:24 PM

There is no such thing as humane slaughter. The animals don't stand there quietly so that the killers aim is true. Chickens twist and turn and don't quite hit the stun bath and so as they pass the knives, sometimes their throats are cut, but sometimes legs are cut off or wings instead. Pigs and cattle don't hold still for the bolt gun either, and that bolt will hit them in the eye or face instead, breaking bones and tissue, but not killing. And because there is an assembly line,the next one is already on the way in, so the chain gets wrapped around the leg, they are hoisted up and throats cut and bellies ripped.

Yes PETA does make some of the videos, because no one else will. They stand by and do nothing even though their hearts are breaking, so that the video record can be shown to the world. When you think to convince yourself that your eating habits aren't all that bad, google cattle slaughter video, or pig slaughter video. Find out how really humane it is.

If you are Jewish, google Agriprocessors animal abuse and see what your kosher beef goes through. Do any of you dare?

Joshie 11-01-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb (Post 178890)
There is no such thing as humane slaughter.

Boy, I hope you don't eat meat, use a leather saddle, use cosmetics (have been tested on animals, if not now, the basis of all current cosmetics, shampoos, etc., have been animal tested), use medications, use bug spray, etc.

OK, it stinks when things are killed. Life is life. But, I don't believe the worth of an animal's life is equal to the worth of mine, or any human's.