The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I'm Quitting Smoking..Support? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/im-quitting-smoking-support-147122/)

Iseul 12-18-2012 10:47 PM

I'm Quitting Smoking..Support?

Well..I've been thinking about it, amd decided that Im just gonna do the same thing I did before my dad died (started after he died again) and just quit.

I've realized that if I ever hope to actually buy ST and board her somewhere with an arena that I really don't have the money for it. Especially when I have over $450 in bills a month, and that's living at home still.

I want to move out, I absolutely hate having to do laundry and dishes for everyone when I work more hours/days than my mum even does! I don't see why she expects me to do all the housework because Im living here..like, I understand some laundry and dishes would help out, but not ALL of it. Living with her and my little brother just stresses me out..and it makes me want to buy things to keep my mind off it (the bettas and hermit crabs).

So..Im currently working at LJS about 10 minutes from my house at minimum wage, full-time..Im going to take another job offer in January (more warehouse work, $9 an hour with 12hr shifts) that is about 20 minutes from my house. Im getting paid biweekly at LJS and will get paid direct deposit weekly when I take this warehouse job.

So..just to give some information on why Im quitting my smoking habit:
Current Bills:
-Car Insurance: $136/month (due near end of month)
-Phone Bill: $90.75/month (due on the 30/31st)
-Horse Lease: $100/month (can pay anytime)
-Gas: ~$150/month (usually about $50 a week for the tank I use)
-Food: ~$45/week (not utterly necessary..but mum doesnt ask what I want anymore when she goes for groceries)
-Cigarettes: ~$50/week

Now..I feel as though the cigarettes are definitely the easiest of those bills to get rid of, so I'm going with that.

So..support me, guys! Lol
Tell me what I could be using that $50 a week on, haha.
And, any other critique y'all can give would help as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 12-18-2012 10:52 PM

I wish you luck quitting smoking.

IF you are out of you cell phone contract, you can look at Straight Talk, 45.00 a month unlimited cell, text, web and they have smart phones, you buy the phone, but no contract and no taxes on the 45.00 a month, save some more money.
Just check which cell service the phone they have uses, some phones use verizon towers and some use ATT towers.

Skyseternalangel 12-18-2012 10:54 PM

I support you 100% and you can save it for a horse emergency fund or towards new tack or put it in the bank :)

Iseul 12-18-2012 10:57 PM

Im actually just recently in a 2-yr contract..so that option is out. :/

Thanks guys, Im gonna save up for the apartment and beagle puppy I've been wanting, lol. Im gonna put like $10 a week towards my "finally buy ST fund" as well, haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 12-18-2012 10:58 PM

I don't know what it's like where you are. Maybe you could get in touch with your insurance people and see if there are any discounts they can be giving you? Sometimes there are really random discounts, and sometimes just poking around can get them to drop the price. The same thing with your phone bill, call and see what they can do for you. Put together a good speech 'I've been a good customer for x amount of years', suggest you're going to switch, even go through your contract and see if there's anything you can eliminate. And you could get really ambitious and see if there's anybody you can carpool with? Or take transit or something.

Skyseternalangel 12-18-2012 11:01 PM

What's ST?

alexischristina 12-18-2012 11:01 PM

Also... I recently realized I've been spending waaaay too much money on random things. Gum, coffee, the occasional lunch. It adds up. Are you spending anything on stuff like that?

Iseul 12-18-2012 11:11 PM

ST is the mare I lease (lease to buy situation), lol.

I spend too much money on the mtn dew or monster at the gas station and snacks for yhe go as well, and I plan to cut most of that out too. Ill be buying a lot of gum to help with the smoking though, lol.

I can't play the good customer speech since I just got my own plan a month ago..so I cant do much about that..I am going to talk to insurance though and look at all aspects of that. See if it would maybe be cheaper to have my own insurance instead of just being under my mum's.

I don't like the idea of carpooling or thw bus because if it's more than just down the hill to the gas station or something I get horribly carsick, and I don't want to subject a friend to me complaining the whole way there/back and the people I work with because it lasts for more than just the time in the car.

Oh, my insurance is also going up because they're taking away one of my discounts because Im not in school anymore :/
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 12-19-2012 02:02 AM

As you know, cigarettes are addicting. It is not easy to quit, there is no point in pretending. And, you will find more "understanding" for the common heroin addict than a cigarette smoker. I posted before...electronic cigarettes are far, far cheaper and make quiting a lot easier. There is no smoke, no ashes, no smell, etc.,. Just food for thought.

whiskeynoo 12-19-2012 02:47 AM

as well has having extra money in your pocket to spend on better things it's better for your health my mother has smoked since she was 16 and hearing her in the mornings is enough to put anyone off. You will smell better for it to! you could try the wee elastic band around the wrist and whenever you feel the need for a smoke ping it. my nana managed to quit by sooking hard boiled sweeties.