The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   wound healing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/wound-healing-14714/)

lovemyponies 09-15-2008 02:56 PM

wound healing

my Mare showed up for dinner last tues with a open wound, not sure how she got it. (checked pasture/fence/shelter) but perhaps a nail. It was wide open pretty nasty about middle of her belly halfway up the side. I used betadine, hosed. next morning vet came out. the wound had closed up about halfway and was very swollen. Vet gave her 5 days of anitbioitics, two kinds. She advised cleaning, soaking in betadine, cold water hosing for 15 mins/day twice a day. Then coat with furazone spray.

The swelling is much better, (nearly gone) but the wound is still open and seems to have stopped or slowed closing. Vet wants to do no more antibiotics, keep it clean and let it heal. Trouble is right after I let wound dry, spray it she goes out and rolls. She also sleeps on her side either in a stall or not, so she will keep getting it dirty.

any ideas on how to keep it clean or bandage it?

thanks!

Ryle 09-15-2008 06:05 PM

You can use a non-stick pad and a bit of elasticon --about the stickiest tape on earth--to cover the wound between cleanings and hosing. However, you will need to work a bit to get it off when you need to clean it next.

FoxyRoxy1507 09-15-2008 07:01 PM

go to walmart or walgreens/cvs and buy the spray on bandaid! omg this stuff is amazing, my horse got bit by a dog on his neck, huge gaping wound at the bottom and we couldnt wrap it or stitch it so we used that stuff and it was completely healed within 1 week and it has a natural cleaning agent in it like peroxide but all u have to do is pour peroxide on it, blot the wound and then spray the stuff on it. he likes to roll in the dirt and stuff and it kept all dirt and gnats off the area. that stuff is amazing, i now keep it in my tack trunk at ALL times. and it was only like $3.

NorthernMama 09-15-2008 10:36 PM

I 2nd the spray on bandaid stuff -- works great! I used it on a cut that was under constant movement and it did help a lot. I think the stuff I bought was called Second Skin.

lovemyponies 09-15-2008 10:57 PM

thanks so much!!! I think you have saved me lots of time and she is going to heal quickly

FGRanch 09-16-2008 12:14 AM

You should try Derma Gel to speed healing. This stuff works wonders. I swear by it. It speeds up the growth of new skin.

lovemyponies 09-17-2008 12:56 PM

thanks, I will look for the derma gel. I don't know if the stuff I got is the right stuff (liquid band aid) I think the wound may be too open for that, or the stuff I got was specifically for smaller cuts.

thanks to all

lovemyponies 09-17-2008 01:01 PM

I just reread the thread and I def got the wrong stuff. I got a liquid bandaid not spray on bandage, yeah, I also will look for derma gel. Where the wound is worries me because the saddle and my leg will always be over the spot so I really want it to heal properly. I went to walgreens but they didn't have that spray on bandaid, will try cvs and walmart, thanks!!

lovemyponies 09-17-2008 03:28 PM

okay got the right stuff, its storming here today so going to use this stuff and put her in a spotless stall and hope tmrw it looks better. Its pretty clean, still oozing a bit but just not closing up any more, or just very slowly.

thanks!

FoxyRoxy1507 09-17-2008 04:43 PM

hope everything works out! I'm sure it will, my horse was still oozing too when i had to put it on him but he healed up perfectly, like i said there is no evidence whatso ever that ne thing happened to him and his would was almost the size of my palm!