The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I got two questions, ones kinda like trivia...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-got-two-questions-ones-kinda-14715/)

travlingypsy 09-15-2008 02:11 PM

I got two questions, ones kinda like trivia...?

Ok heres the first one, how can you tell if a horses movement is off? When I was showing dogs my grandpa said that the dogs movement needs to be like a train all legs should be going staight now outward or inward.
I know some people can tell by the sound of the foot falls but im in no way that good. But since i'll be looking to buy a horse I dont want to bring some crapy mover who is off to my barn,lol.

Heres a trivia one!
On beauty and the beast, what was the breed and name of bells horse!

iridehorses 09-15-2008 02:34 PM

It would be best to have someone go with you who knows or do it at your barn. That way you can see and hear how each movement should go. It is easy to put it into words but understanding and interpreting them is very difficult. Some people have an eye for it and others who know how it should work just can't see it. You should also be able to feel it from the saddle. Having someone tell you when you are going correctly then you feeling it is the best way until you develop an eye and sense for it.

travlingypsy 09-15-2008 02:50 PM

Thanks, yah I would like my trainer to come but sometimes shesnot always available, but i think with horses near me i'll check em out and if I like them i'll have my trairner come out. Then I get to ride the horse twice.

Also I have another question. Does orchard grass have a lot of sugar in it? Or more protien? What about fat does is have a lot?

iridehorses 09-15-2008 04:24 PM

Protein, yes. How much really depends on when it was cut - first cutting or second, how far they let it go before cutting, and how long it was stored. It looses nutrition over time. Orchard grass is a good free choice hay unlike Alfalfa which you have to monitor more closely and is primarily used for performance horses.

travlingypsy 09-15-2008 05:31 PM

oh, ok so would an all orchard, be good for the larger breeds, like drafts and stuff. Or do the big horses need the high quality,timothy,alfalfa..ect.

iridehorses 09-15-2008 05:49 PM

The only thing that makes a difference with the larger breeds is the quantity of the feed, not the makeup. So, "no", just because the horse is bigger, doesn't mean that you want to give it a higher performance feed, just more of what you are feeding a normal size horse.

Everything you feed your horse needs to be custom to his size and work load.

travlingypsy 09-15-2008 06:01 PM

OH! Thank you, a great big help! :D lol Ok here is another question... I know that the more a horse works the more grains they need, the less work the less grain, so basicly that goes for the more larger/draft breeds?
Because there are two large horses on is a mare hanovarian (sp?) who is pregnant but even before that she got a LOT of grain about a whole large ziplock bag, but yet she isnt working just getting turnout. Then the other horse is a TB,/Galdalander (once again sp?) he gets a lot of grain too a huge thing of tupawear but yet the owner is 15 and never rides him and he gets stuck in his stall all day. So is it just the breeds,size? I know that the two grains are high quality grains mixed with vitamins and a bunch of other stuff.... Im just trying to get some understanding on the whole grain bit. :shock:

horsey*kisses 09-15-2008 06:18 PM

i dont know about the rythm of the horse but i can answer the other one!!
lol his name is phillipe and i think hes either a clyesdale or a shire not 100% sure on that one lol or a welsh cob or...something big lol

travlingypsy 09-15-2008 06:26 PM

lol great thanks! I use to love that movie and loved that horse... but I couldnt remember his name!

horsey*kisses 09-15-2008 06:27 PM

lol ur welcome that is my favorite all time movie ever! lol