The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Gash on leg, do you wrap? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/gash-leg-do-you-wrap-147157/)

poppy1356 12-19-2012 12:25 PM

Gash on leg, do you wrap?

1 Attachment(s)
So this is a friends horse. He got in a fight with another horse over a fence line. Cut may have resulted from the t-post they took down or from the other horses hooves. Happened sometime between 6pm Monday and 9am Tuesday. Had Red Kote put on yesterday and then left alone. Today it is oozing. It is in a bad place to wrap and to heal. Do you wrap or leave? What would you put on it?

spirit88 12-19-2012 12:43 PM

I would just keep it clean and medicated no bugs to deal with in minnesota this time of year. Doesnt look like its to bad of a cut as far as being deep.Being its in a hard place to wrap just leave it unwraped.

deserthorsewoman 12-19-2012 12:44 PM

Bad place to wrap, as you said. I use Furazone on those. Usually heals fast and uneventful.

poppy1356 12-19-2012 12:53 PM

I think we have furazone. Everything at the barn is frozen right now but I think we have it in an aerosol so that should work. It isn't that deep at all just really split the skin open. No swelling or limping still so that is good, although the really cold weather and laying in snow could be helping that.

deserthorsewoman 12-19-2012 12:57 PM

I stuff frozen meds in my jacket/coat for a while to thaw;-)

poppy1356 12-19-2012 01:00 PM

Haha never thought of that, but I'm not sure if I want to lose any body heat lol. He's got 3 of these cuts but this is the worst one. Just hoping no more as the problem child leaves in 13 days at worst, hoping they will leave sooner.

mls 12-19-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1806232)
I stuff frozen meds in my jacket/coat for a while to thaw;-)

I have a first aid kit that contains all of that type of stuff. Kept in the house all times of year to prevent the medications breaking down and losing effectiveness due to the temperature and humidty swings.

I would personally use Vetericyn. The gel spray is awesome.

poppy1356 12-19-2012 01:52 PM

If I lived on property I would have everything in my house but this is a boarding facility and prior to a few of us no one had a first aid kit. We are slowly building up our stock and are in the works of putting up locking shelves in an insulated middle room that never freezes and never gets over 60 in the summer. But for now everything is cold.

I do have Vetericyn that is not frozen. Would it be good to use that then after it dries to put something over it? I love Corona ointment. That stuff seems to heal cuts and bites up the fastest. But that is rock solid right now :(

deserthorsewoman 12-19-2012 02:12 PM

Use the Veterycin then. From what I hear it's awesome. I have it but had no need to use it up to now.

poppy1356 12-19-2012 02:21 PM

Haha I've used half the bottle already, it expires in like 6 months so might as well use it up. It doesn't have a very long shelf life which sucks but yes it is awesome. I haven't had to use it on my horse in a few months, knock on wood it stays that way.