The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back pain and horse riding

20K views 76 replies 23 participants last post by  waleybean 
#1 ·
I am currently writing articles re horse riders and associated back pain suffered due to riding.
I would appreciate your experiences, adding, for example,if the pain was there before you started riding, how riding exacerbates it, and treatments you use for the pain.
The pain could be lower back pain, mid back pain or / and neck symptoms.
Thank you very much.
Dr Les Bailey
Dr Les Bailey phd, DO, Acopm, Apta

#2 ·
Riding correctly helps reduce my back pain. I was in a car accident 3 years ago and couldn't ride until almost 2 years later. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back along with a separation in my spine about midway. I rode for 10 years prior to the accident and they believe the only reason my back didn't break was due to the strong muscles around my spine which came from riding.

I had extensive pain in my back up until I took up riding again. It has reduced my pain to very rare now. It helped strengthen my inner core muscles better than any physical therapy.

So while this is the opposite info you wanted, I had to chip in since riding is how I get pain relief.

#4 ·
I ended up with compression fractures at T6 and T8 in 2009 from a horseback riding accident. (Not my fault nor the horse's fault...just a freak accident)

I was told by my doctor that I could not ride again until I was pain free. I waited 4 months and decided I was never going to be pain free and started riding again.

Immediately, the pain began to subside. I attribute it to having good posture while in the saddle, being totally relaxed, and also that riding relieves the tension and stress which seems to always settle into the area of my injury.( between the shoulder blades)

The pain returns if a week or so goes by without riding. I am never in pain while I ride. It is my therapy.

#5 ·
I am 65 and have been on a horse since I was two.

My penchant for re-schooling Widowmakers, for many years, cost me dearly as I now have Grade III Spondylolisthesis.

I started riding Tennessee Walkers 22+ years ago in order to keep riding - and I was told by PT's at that point to stop riding because one wrong fall could put me in a wheel chair permanently - lol I know it's not funny but gaited horses did buy me 20-some more years of trail riding:)

I am no longer able to ride 4 - 6 hours daily but can still take an occasional sissy hack down to the end of my road and back; about 4 miles roundtrip:(

I will not have back surgery so rely on Excedrin Extra Strength and prescription Lidoderm patches. I have been told by both PT's and chiros to "keep on keepin' on" at the barn so I don't lose muscle mass, as that is about all that is left back there. I still muck stalls daily and only gave up trimming everyone's hooves two months ago.

Having a high tolerance for pain also helps:) I think most died-in-the-wool riders acquire high levels of pain tolerance because we don't want to give up riding until that proverbial "last dog is hung" :)

#6 ·
At 42 I just started riding lessons this year. I was hesitant because of my lower back issues. At the recommendation of a friend, I took up english lessons as it definitely strengthens my core, which is exactly what physical therapists and doctors have said would help my case. My back has actually not gone out since I started riding, and I haven't experienced any soreness or pain after riding.
It is also motivating me to get into better shape and work on my flexibility and stretching. I want to become a better rider and I have tons of fun doing it!

#8 ·
Interesting post! I have always had minor back issues but over the last 6 months have developed lower back pain which has been quite debilitating. I think the main culprit is mucking out and bending over to pick up the dogs stick to throw, have gotten to the point where I have to squat down and muck out with my hands (with gloves on!) to take the strain off my back. Lots of stretching has helped and while it can be painful when I ride it really makes me focus on my posture and usually it feels better the day after a ride. Went to a chiropractor and its actually due to having very tight thigh/butt muscles :wink: so when I bend over I overstretch my back to compensate, quite interesting to learn how muscles can affect others.
My wheat bag is my best friend, I use it almost all day at work while sitting at my desk - the constant heat works wonders.

#9 ·
Its amazing how heat can be useful for muscle pain, yet it is classed as somewhat old fashioned in the physical therapies field.
I use infra red lamps in my clinic which my patients find useful, especially pre manipulation or in conditions where weather is an exacerbating factor.
You could get your own one quite cheaply from ebay, and as you find heat is a useful adjunct, this would be a good investment.
Dr Les Bailey

#10 ·
I have a back that "goes" every now and then and means a week of extreme pain and walking bent over. Sadly when my back is fine I forget to take specal care (I naturally enjoy being active) and this time moving some gravel in a wheel barrow has led to me being in pain again and slightly lower in the back than usual. After a week I did try a gentle hack but felt it still wasn't right yet so I'm not riding at the moment. I do believe that core stability strength is the way to go to protect my back and I think my Mary Wanless style Ride With your Mind lessons help (as they concentrate on core strength).

#11 ·
Im quite overwhelmed with the interest in this post from you all.
Here are a few links you may find helpful.
Dr Les Bailey phd,Do, Acopm,Apta, gives a view of what constitutes an effective treatment. | PRLog
HYPERMOBILITY SYNDROME by Dr Les Bailey, Woodmansterne, Banstead, Dr Les Bailey phd,DO,acopm,apta | PRLog
Using Mc Timoney chiropractic technique in physical therapy by Dr Les Bailey phd | PRLog
http:/www.drlesbailey.com

I hope you find these of interest.
I will reply individually to some of your posts later today!!
Dr Les Bailey

#13 ·
I have a twisted spine and pelvis. Recently I have been seeing a chiropractor.....wow what a difference it has made. It was very uncomfortable during some of the treatments but it has helped a lot.

I find that if the ride is tense, I get sore shoulders and neck. And I also find that riding a sitting trot really hurts my lower back, which I don't notice when I'm not riding. It seems that riding will suddenly make me notice how crooked or bad my back is.....will be revisiting the chiro in the new year.

I also use ice when my back is sore, it offers the most relief. I also take Robax when the pain is bad.

#15 ·
My pain is not caused by riding. The only pain I get while riding is fatigue of my upper back muscles. For quite a few years now, my back muscles (all of them) spasm and tighten. They pull my spine out of alignment. My back has to be popped to get any relief and the relief only lasts a matter of minutes. Ive seen a chiro. Then I hurt myself at work somehow (I picked up a 2 pound box and was in pain). I could barely walk. I had shooting pain around my SI. Every morning I am very stiff. Sometimes it lasts all day. I went to PT after I got hurt and he said I had hyperlordosis. But it is not true hyperlordosis because I come out of it when I bend over. He had me doing core exercises and stretching for 12 weeks. But none of that ever relieved the pain. The only thing that relieved it was popping my back. I am thinking about seeing a chiro every 2 weeks and getting adjusted and decompressed. It doesnt hurt to ride but sometimes I feel stiff afterwards. I also have a numb spot on my shoulder. But it starts burning around it when my muscles start fatiguing. So I am kind of neutral I guess. I believe riding is a great therapy, but I cant seem to find the happy medium between upper back fatigue and not doing anything. :/

#18 ·
It sounds as if perhaps you need a practitioner that does deep tissue massage after the manipulation to remove the muscle spasm after the adjustment.
This is something I have always done, although its hard work, so not many chiro,s or osteopaths do it anymore:-(
It gets a bit pricey to use a seperate massage practitioner, so I would advise to find one who offers the whole package?
As for the hyperlordosis, this can be environmental rather than permanent, so it would straighten upon bending ( this is how we test whether a scoliosis/lordosis/kyphosis is environmental rather than genetic. Genetic would not correct upon bending)
A good programme of manipulation and deep tissue massage will straighten environmental curves in most cases.
Dr Les Bailey

#16 ·
I had a pinched nerve several years ago which has caused my back to go out periodically. Recently I switched saddles to a more close contact dressage saddle which caused some severe sciatica. I have been helped by an osteopath and also accupuncturist and am starting to gain the strength back on my left side which was the side that was affected.

#21 ·
I had my first and only fall thus far a couple of months after I started riding. I landed back first on a rock about 1/3 the size of my fist. Nothing broken, but damage to the soft tissue still causes me pain 4 years later - although it is no where near as bad now! It runs from my right lower back past my hip to the outside of my right thigh.

Riding usually causes the pain to flare up after about 45 minutes. Jogging for 20 minutes will cause it to swell up visibly about an hour later. The 2/week massage therapy I was prescribed for 3 months did nothing to help.

When riding, my lower back remains stiff, and horses tend to drift left when I ride. Mia is the horse I ride most of the time, and I think she has learned to ignore the extra pressure on her right side.

#25 ·
My Physiotherapyst said I have weakness/injury to my SI joint, I have tried to do the exercises she told me to do and I did some massages but the pain hasn't gone away. It is very severe when I do barn work and or just standing and walking around. I have an appt with my doctor to find a chiropractor, do you think that will help?

I have no pain during riding or after riding.

#27 ·
It seems like I can't engage my core very well. At pt it was very hard for me to tilt my pelvis into "neutral spine". Pt really didn't help me much. I've always wanted to try massage and decompression therapy. I just feel like my body needs to be reset and start all over.
Posted via Mobile Device

#29 ·
Lol I know I have no choice. It'd be neat though. I found a chiro/massage. It's alliance chiropractic massage in watauga. They seem to have some good ideas on here. Maybe I'll give them a call :p
Posted via Mobile Device

#31 ·
Lol I will call them today. They open at 2. I'll see if they can help me. Their office is about an hour and a half away from me but it might be worth it
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: drlesbailey
#40 ·
Hmm that's very interesting and sounds great. I sent them a message asking about it so now waiting on a reaponse
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.