The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Trailering After Gelding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/trailering-after-gelding-147199/)

PaintsPwn 12-19-2012 08:38 PM

Trailering After Gelding

I've sold most of my horses, and one of the two I'm keeping is a stallion. I'm moving and the place they'll be boarded at does not allow stallions. I'm absolutely willing to geld him in order to keep him because he won't have any mares to cover and it will perhaps make things easier when showing him and everyone in minis pretty much has their own stallion so the possible income is basically zero.

However the place I'm moving to is about 1,000 miles away and I will be moving sometime within the next month but something that's just come to a realization for me is that I have no idea the recovery time he'll need to make that trip. Does anyone have any idea on this? I thought I'd check here first before hassling vets.

goneriding 12-19-2012 08:59 PM

I assume your vet will be gelding him so why not ask prior to surgery the recovery time? To me a month recovery without complications would be fine if you can get it done that soon. Talk to your vet.

CLaPorte432 12-19-2012 10:53 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I hauled one of my colts to the vets for gelding, and hauled him home when he woke up. It was over an hour drive but we didnt have any complications.

Check with your vet but i cant imagine 7-10 days of recovery, then hauling him, being any sort of problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

crom5 12-23-2012 12:02 AM

I had my horse just gelded last month as a 4 yr old stallion, I gave it 3 weeks before trailering. Wasnt healed but was safe to trailer.

DancingArabian 12-23-2012 12:42 AM

Talk to the vet.

My horse's buddy was just gelded (7 month old colt) and was trailered back home the day after the surgery.
Posted via Mobile Device