The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Christmas presents (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/christmas-presents-147203/)

justicehorse 12-19-2012 08:27 PM

Christmas presents

I asked for trails illustrated maps for Christmas. So, last night my hubby (worried he'd get me the wrong ones) took me to REI so I could pick them out myself. I am super happy with my 3 new maps and can't wait to study them as I plan & dream about next year's adventures. My non-adventurous friends/family look at me weird for getting excited over trail maps.... so I thought I'd share it with peeps that understand how cool this present is. :wink:

Anyone else get a fun horsey Christmas present?

Thunderspark 12-20-2012 12:05 AM

LOL I would love for trail maps for Christmas and yes my non-horsey friends and family think I am weird too LOL

prairiewindlady 12-20-2012 07:48 AM

Well, I got a pony:) He is still young, but I intend to use him for packing during overnight trail rides and backpacking trips in the future

DixieKate 12-20-2012 08:54 AM

I'm getting some nice saddle bags and a breastplate for Christmas from the fiance. As soon as hunting season is over, we're going to start doing a lot of trail riding with hopes of participating in a competitive trail ride in spring or summer.

Also, my dad is buying me some Ariat paddock boots and half chaps.

So happy!

Foxesdontwearbowties 12-20-2012 09:02 AM

I'm just getting gift cards to Dovers, as I can't really trust them to get the right things. Haha.

FlyGap 12-20-2012 09:47 AM

Prairiewindlady, I can't think of a better present!! A pony and a pack pony to boot!

Le sigh, no horse goodies for me this christmas... I'm with you Foxes, I don't trust what they'd pick.
Need a new saddle pad, but if DD picked it out it would probably be purple
with sparkles! :shock:
But I love giving DD & DH horse stuff, must stoke their little trail buddy fires!

Annanoel 12-20-2012 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a new bow from DH. He also picked something else that's horsey have yet to get it out of him. I always get excited for horsey gifts though because he is a cowboy at heart and knows me all too well.

For him..well he's good at ruining presents so I can't say too much. All hunting or cowboy related. ;)

Also got a new barn jacket! Don't have pictures yet, we get to pick them up this weekend. Our first ones.

FlyGap 12-20-2012 10:23 AM

Ohhh Annanoel! That is cool!

DH bought me a new Glock, it's a combo Anniversary/Christmas gift, so I guess that counts as a trail gift, right?

gunslinger 12-20-2012 10:23 AM

I love the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps, have quite a collection of them and always have one in my saddlebags.

I guess I'm a map guy and while the Trails Illustrated maps give a great high level view being 1:63,000 scale, I tend to use the 1:24,000 USGS Topo's more when on the trail as it's easier to place myself (where am I) on the larger 1:24,000 scale maps.

If you have a GPS, and want to find where you are on the paper map, learn to use UTM, and, set the correct map datum. Usually, when I stop for a break, I get out the map, pick the point where I think I am, and then position myself using the GPS to see how accurate my estimate is. By doing this, I learn to use the map/gps combo before I really, really need it.

I have a mapping GPS (I actually carry two mapping GPS's along with a compass Garmin Etrex Legend HCx and a Garmin 60 CSx) but the 2 inch screen just leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

I've picked up a couple of Trails Illustrated maps to give as Christmas gifts to some of my other trail riding friends.

Annanoel 12-20-2012 10:33 AM

Yeah the reason I posted is that I'm hoping, crossing my fingers, whatever else I can do that the other gift is the GPS I've been eyeing up to map and log my trail rides.