The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Vegetables & Fruit for horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/vegetables-fruit-horses-147217/)

Captain Evil 12-19-2012 09:30 PM

Vegetables & Fruit for horses?

Does anyone feed veggies and fruits to their horses, beyond the usual apples, carrots, carrot greens, bananas and plums? An old friend of mine gave her horse a huge salted salad every week, and I wondered if anyone else does.

Lockwood 12-19-2012 09:35 PM

My horse is not fond of carrots and will take an apple if he has to, but does like to nibble on broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower, strawberries, pears, and peaches.
I have a garden and while I don't make these a part of his diet, I do use them as treats.

Oldhorselady 12-19-2012 09:39 PM

Mine will eat orange peels after I eat my orange. They also like watermelon rinds, pears, apples and carrots.

Lins 12-19-2012 09:45 PM

mine love corn, watermelons and bananas. It's very entertaining to watch them eat corn and watermelons :)

Puddintat 12-19-2012 09:47 PM

Dancer despises bananas but loves peaches. He also chooses apples over carrots. He is not too fond of watermelon but I haven't tried anything else veggie/fruit wise yet.

spirit88 12-19-2012 10:20 PM

My horses like the normal apples and carrots but really dont like much else they only get apples and carrots once in a great while. For the most part i dont feed treats and i never hand feed either. I just cant justify spending money on treats they really dont need.The only treat they get is after a ride thats a cup of oats.

Puddintat 12-19-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 1807158)
My horses like the normal apples and carrots but really dont like much else they only get apples and carrots once in a great while. For the most part i dont feed treats and i never hand feed either. I just cant justify spending money on treats they really dont need.The only treat they get is after a ride thats a cup of oats.

I just usually share what I have with Dancer. I definitely don't hand feed, either. :D

Oldhorselady 12-20-2012 12:00 AM

I have had a horse that I would not hand-feed much....Puddintat (Jasper)...lol. Then I had a horse that wouldn't eat anything hand-fed to her....Puddintat (Cheyanne)...again, lol. However, the two I have now, are definately no problem chicas with hand-feeding, despite what others may say.

I forgot, mine love the peaches too!

verona1016 12-20-2012 12:41 PM

I've never had much luck feeding other fruits or vegetables to any of the horses I've ridden, though I've always been able to find a neighboring horse who's happy to take the rejects :-)

Shoebox 12-20-2012 02:57 PM

I tried to give Clementine a clementine once... Boy did that end badly! She spat it out, stomped away and glared at me with her ears back like, "WHY on earth would you feed me that? Are you TRYING to kill me?!"

All the other horses tried the rejected piece too. None liked it - there was a lot of head nodding and lip licking - but none had quite the hilarious reaction. It ended with half chewed baby orange pieces everywhere and a lot of horses wondering if I had anything better.