The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   What's your thought on her conformation? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/whats-your-thought-her-conformation-147239/)

Elizabeth9397 12-20-2012 03:53 AM

What's your thought on her conformation?

2 Attachment(s)
This is babe, she is 15yrs old and is an appaloosa/thoroughbred, i've noticed myself she has very high withers an a long back but other than that what else do you guys notice about her?

Misty'sGirl 12-20-2012 04:43 AM

The top of her butt looks quite high and she seems to stand under herself. I'm still learning this stuff, so hopefully someone can tell you more.

Tracer 12-20-2012 05:06 AM

Her legs seem awfully thin, and I don't like the look of her pasterns at all. They look like they'd snap in an instant. She looks to toe out, especially in the hind end. Her neck is low set, her back is long, and her croup is set back too far. She also looks a bit long in the toe, and her shoulder is a little upright.

She also looks like she could stand to go on a bit of a diet :P

Even though she's not exactly well put together, doesn't mean she's not beautiful. I think her biggest problem is that she looks to have the body and neck of an Appaloosa, with the legs and head of a Thoroughbred.

Endiku 12-20-2012 04:36 PM

She also needs a trim. Her hooves are a wreck unfortunately, which might be one reason that she's standing under herself so much.

TimberRidgeRanch 12-20-2012 06:13 PM

Like the others said but also notice she looks to have windpuff on her rear fetlock or is that the picture? I never liked appies in the past but my taste is changing. Shes cute!

TRR

DraftyAiresMum 12-20-2012 06:30 PM

Holy sickle hocks, Batman! She also stands under herself quite a bit. Her topline is lacking, but I'm not sure if it's lack of muscling or those shark-fin withers making it look like that. Her butt is small compared to the rest of her. I don't think her legs would look quite so fine if she wasn't so chubby. She definitely needs to go on a major diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

maisie 12-21-2012 12:54 PM

To me, it looks like her hind end belongs to a different horse than the rest of her, and I think the way that long back and loin join up with the hind is rather alarming. It's too bad because she has some features that, taken by themselves, are attractive but just IMO her parts don't add up right.

That doesn't mean she's not a good horse though. If she takes good care of you then she's worth bunches. I think she'd probably benefit greatly from conditioning to improve her topline and abdominal muscles. Elana or another expert might be able to comment on that.

FeatheredFeet 12-21-2012 02:21 PM

Eeeek. She's a bit of a mess, isn't she. Plain headed for a start. She is sickle hocked and cow hocked. Toes out. Long bodied. Poor shoulder. Weak loined. Butt high. Steep croup. Pot bellied. I really hope she is not bred. Difficult to tell if she stands as she does, because of her many conformation problems, or if she is in pain. And she needs to see the farrier.
This is a perfect example of someone breeding purely for colour. I'll bet her parents were also a hot mess. She looks a bit unthrifty and sad, but I hope she has a good home and is loved, in spite of her looks. And she is a pretty colour.

Lizzie