The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Strange color! Appy or Paint or What? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/strange-color-appy-paint-what-147258/)

BackwoodsBaby 12-20-2012 09:47 AM

Strange color! Appy or Paint or What?

2 Attachment(s)
I saw this horse on a for sale site (not wanting to buy) and he caught my attention because of his color. But what would you call his coat color?

Attachment 122448

Attachment 122449

Chiilaa 12-20-2012 09:50 AM

Both. Frame is causing the white pinto patterning. Then appy causing the varnish roan over the top.

I personally am a stickler, and I would call him a "bay varnish roan and frame pintaloosa". That's probably the most accurate.

BackwoodsBaby 12-20-2012 09:58 AM

okay thanks, learn something new every day.

blue eyed pony 12-20-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1807587)
I personally am a stickler, and I would call him a "bay varnish roan and frame pintaloosa". That's probably the most accurate.

Look at his muzzle. Is he still bay? I see some paler colour!

edit; I do agree on the rest though. Just thought it was ironic that Chiilaa of all people didn't spot that. Or maybe I'm just seeing things.

FlyGap 12-20-2012 11:02 AM

A whatever whatever pintaloosa, that got whacked with the ugly stick. Poor guy.

Faceman 12-20-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGap (Post 1807688)

Haha...pintaloosas are usually either real pretty or real ugly (color wise)...not too hard to tell which one this one is...:rofl:

I also suspect there is more in the woopile than just Appy and Paint...

DrumRunner 12-20-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGap (Post 1807688)

:rofl: I'm seeing a hint of giraffe in that neck and head set.

Nixalba 12-20-2012 01:46 PM

Being an avid Appaloosa fan, I personally hate seeing "pintaloosas"

Saying that I wouldn't pass up a good horse whatever it's breeding or colour. I do agree though with the "ugly stick" comment in this case, though! lol :-P

Varnishing probably has something to do with the lighter muzzle. LP does some fun things with colour... like the blond tail.

blue eyed pony 12-20-2012 02:05 PM

I'm not seeing the lighter muzzle as being varnish just because it's too red/tan, I would have thought that if varnish caused it there would be more of a greyish/roany look to it. A lighter muzzle is the ONLY sign my gelding shows of being brown - he is brown, not bay, but doesn't show many signs - and even that typically only in the winter.

Nixalba 12-20-2012 02:08 PM

It is possible he's brown. It still looks like slight mottling on his muzzle and over the bridge of his nose but then, it could be poor quality of the photo.