The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   how do I know if hay is moldy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-i-know-if-hay-147370/)

horsecrazygirl13 12-21-2012 06:52 PM

how do I know if hay is moldy?

HI I was wondering if green hay could be moldy? Some of my hay smells strange-a bit 'dusty'. It is nice and green though. Oh and is it safe for horses to eat the grass under the snow?

equiniphile 12-21-2012 06:55 PM

A good indicator is if it doesn't expand when you cut the strings. Also, moldy hay will smell different from dusty hay. You'll know when it's moldy by smelling it.

Don't depend on the grass as a food source when it's covered with snow, but yes, it's safe for them to eat.

horsecrazygirl13 12-21-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1809754)
A good indicator is if it doesn't expand when you cut the strings. Also, moldy hay will smell different from dusty hay. You'll know when it's moldy by smelling it.

Don't depend on the grass as a food source when it's covered with snow, but yes, it's safe for them to eat.

Ok. Can you see mold on hay?

Chevaux 12-21-2012 07:05 PM

Yes, you can see mold. Depending on the age and type of mold, you will see either blackish coloured hay with white specks on it to masses of pretty much solid whitish gray mold that keeps the flakes of hay stuck together. Moldy hay, as mentioned by Equiniphile, has a distinctly unpleasant smell. If you've got hay that is on the dusty side, you can alway wet it down to reduce the chances of your horse inhaling the dust.

Saddlebag 12-21-2012 07:09 PM

Another way to tell is to cut open a bale and check the feel of the flakes, those sections that naturally come apart. A moldy one is always heavier.

horsecrazygirl13 12-21-2012 07:16 PM

Sooo... Green hay isnt moldy?

Chevaux 12-21-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 1809783)
Sooo... Green hay isnt moldy?

Generally, green hay is not moldy. It is possible for green hay to be dusty though. All hay has a tendency to be dusty in that it is dried plant material and part of the dust is the plant slowly disintegrating because there is no moisture. Moldy hay is discoloured (depending on the extent of the mold, it may still have a tiny hint of green (not bright but dull) going to brownish then to dark gray/black as the amount of mold present increases).