The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Newly gelded horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/newly-gelded-horse-147406/)

Janna 12-22-2012 12:51 AM

Newly gelded horse.

One of my boys was gelded today.
I was told to give him plenty of room to move on his own and to walk/trot him for a short while for a little bit, watch for swelling and run water (gently) around the incision to help with any swelling and keep it clean. It's pretty cold so bugs are not a problem.

Only other horse I had thy was recently gelded got tetanus and died.
So I'm worried. ( the horse was gelded before I got him. Wasn't us. But was only about a week before I got him)

Any other things I should do for him?

Solon 12-22-2012 02:08 AM

Do exactly what the vet said. That's the same that I was told for my boy. Just watch him carefully. I'm so sorry about your other horse!

stevenson 12-22-2012 02:23 AM

I hope you had vaccinated your horse prior to gelding. walking will help the 'wound' drain and help reduce swelling. Watch to make sure there is no puss draining (infection ) and they can swell pretty big, and they wont want to walk. do not get the incision wet.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-22-2012 02:36 AM

When I bring newly gelded colts home, I put them in a 12X12 stall overnight and then the next day I move them to a nice big round pen or larger corral. I place hay in several places so they have to walk around to eat. In this cold weather, my vet recommends against cold hosing, but go with whatever your vet told you to do. My vet also has me give banamine or bute for the first couple of days. I give a tetanus booster the week before I take them in for surgery.

Janna 12-22-2012 02:43 AM

Yeah he had his shots

rookie 12-22-2012 06:40 AM

oh I have seen a animal (cow) with tetanus not something I would ever wish for so I get where you are coming from. As other have said if your horse was vaccinated it should be fine. Tetanus is part of the EWT vaccine (eastern/western equine encephalitis and tetanus). Watch your horse for signs of tetanus which would produce muscle stiffness. Keep the area clean and watch for swelling. The area should only look better if it stops looking better or develops an odor call the vet. The other thing to remember is that your horse will have all those hormones for about 8 weeks. So it can take 8-12 weeks to see behavior changes and you should keep him away from mares for a few more weeks.

Faceman 12-22-2012 09:15 AM

Keep him out of ponds...

cmarie 12-22-2012 01:34 PM

He's not going to want to walk or trot but make him or the incision will close and he'll get an infection, I just got my 6 yr old Icelandic stud gelded and his sheath swelled alot for about a week I felt so sorry for him.

smrobs 12-22-2012 01:41 PM

That's one reason why I like to turn my newly gelded colts back out with a herd. That keeps them moving so that I don't have to LOL.

If he's had his tetanus shot, then you really shouldn't need to worry about that. Like Stevenson said, try not to get the wound itself wet. It will likely get crusty and look nasty, but leave it be. All that crust is protecting that new, raw flesh.

Also, fair warning. Some of the drainage might have the appearance of pus as it can become cloudy and thick. Don't let that freak you out. An easy way to tell if what you think is pus actually is or not is to smear some on your finger and smell it. Nasty, I know, but it works. Pus will smell nasty, but if the drainage is clean but cloudy, it won't have much of a smell at all.

Tarpan 12-22-2012 02:57 PM

When I was doing shelter work our vet recommended that the horse be kept as still as possible on the first day to allow the blood to clot, and after that short hand walking daily to keep the wound from sealing up and getting infected. He's going to swell a lot and be really uncomfortable.