The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Gelding Plaiting Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/gelding-plaiting-help-147445/)

isiwizzy675 12-22-2012 03:26 PM

Gelding Plaiting Help

My gelding Troy (In my barn) is really grumpy at this time of year, and I need to either plait, pull or trim his mane and tail. I can't go behind him to do his tail, and he can't have a twitch. Any help would be greatly welcomed

izzy xx :-P

FeatheredFeet 12-22-2012 04:08 PM

Why is he grumpy? Seems to me he needs a great deal of ground work and manners. I suppose you could pull his tail to the side to braid it. But braiding his tail seems to be the least of his and your problems. How old is he? How long have you had him? What breed is he? Why can he not be handled?

Lizzie

waresbear 12-22-2012 04:15 PM

Troy needs to be taught not to threaten humans when having something as simple as his tail braided.
Posted via Mobile Device

EvilHorseOfDoom 12-22-2012 04:30 PM

I'm interested that he's grumpy - is it only at this time of year every year? I'd be suspecting painful arthritis...
Posted via Mobile Device

isiwizzy675 12-22-2012 04:53 PM

You have to know and I mean really know Troy to understand his problems. When he was a foal, some gypsies camped near his field and handled him and his colt friend Oliver very roughly. He is seven and I have had him six years. He has a mixture of numerous breeds in him, including TB, Arab, Irish Draught and some other native types. He can be handled, just HATES people he hasn't had time with. Me and him, we go back a long way. I have used a twitch on him before and he hates it.

FeatheredFeet 12-22-2012 05:09 PM

So what real ground training and manners, have you done? Don't make the excuse that he was abused. He is not now. No more excuses. He needs to be trained from the basics. And that means, he must also allow you to touch him all over without being nasty. I tend to think, you have been spoiling this lad a bit, because of his early problems. He's got your number and everyone else's.

If you don't know how to start a horse with the basics, get help from a knowledgeable trainer or try to find some help on the net or ask here. He'd last about five minutes with me or most other people.

Inside him somewhere, is a lovely horse, just waiting to come out. Post pics of this lad. We'd love to see him. I presume you are in Ireland or England somewhere? I know plenty of people there, who might be able to help, if you are close enough.

Lizzie

Pattilou 12-22-2012 05:39 PM

I am very anti twitch , unless you are doing a medical procedure, a twitch offers the horse no out. It hurts if he misbehaves and it hurts if he behaves.

You are asking an impossible question, how can you deal with your horses tail if you can't get near the tail. So the answer is you have to deal with your horses behavior so he will let you deal with his tail.

Offer him a choice. If I get by your rear end ( use a carrot stick ) and you act like you are going to kick or get nasty. You will have to more your feet. Rest comes for him when he decides to let you by his rear end. Repeat over and over if needed, not with anger but with self-confidence. Past experiences is no excuse for bad behavior. He know if he acts nasty then you will leave him alone. You have to change his reality. When he behaves he gets left alone !

faye 12-22-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isiwizzy675 (Post 1810755)
You have to know and I mean really know Troy to understand his problems. When he was a foal, some gypsies camped near his field and handled him and his colt friend Oliver very roughly. He is seven and I have had him six years. He has a mixture of numerous breeds in him, including TB, Arab, Irish Draught and some other native types. He can be handled, just HATES people he hasn't had time with. Me and him, we go back a long way. I have used a twitch on him before and he hates it.

Sorry but rough handling by gypsys is not a get out clause. you need to deal with him and teach him that he is not allowed to be grumpy or arsey with people.

My lad has been abused, to the point that he was utterly terrified of people and lines. He has had his feet taken out from under him using lines, he was not gelded by a vet, at somepoint the handling was rough enough to fracture his pelvis! he was so scared that the first time i put a roller on him he went into a blind bolt head first into a wall and fractured his skull. oh and he tried to kill the farrier a few times

yet because we have delt with his issues and taught him that it is not acceptable to behave like that and that no one is going to hurt him he would not now even dare think about getting grumpy with you. he is normaly the first to come to the gate, the first to greet you with a nicker and the cuddliest pony ever.

Ignore the fact he has been abused and treat him like any other horse. Discipline him when he acts out and he will actualy feel safer as he has a leader.

Pattilou 12-22-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattilou (Post 1810809)
You will have to more your feet. !

I was meaning to say you have to move his feet :-)

Bluebird 12-23-2012 05:49 AM

If you have had him 6 years and he still won't let you do it, you need to change your method. Why do you need to plait him or pull his mane in the first place? Can he not be left au natrel