The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique my 10 year old AQHA? Hunter jumper prospect? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-10-year-old-aqha-147458/)

laurenlewis24 12-22-2012 07:22 PM

Critique my 10 year old AQHA? Hunter jumper prospect?

4 Attachment(s)
This is my new mare Dakota. She is 10 and 16 hands tall. I am planning on riding her all around but mainly in hunter jumper and hunt seat. She is a bit fat and furry right now, trying to get her to get back on track since she was very overweight when we got her..about 1 month ago.

Sorry for the poor lighting and poor quality pics. I was just trying to hurry before it got too dark so she isnt standing very square.

Attachment 122667

Attachment 122668

Attachment 122669

Attachment 122670

Elana 12-22-2012 08:29 PM

She sure is a Quarter horse!
I cannot comment on her legs (back at the knees or not etc) because the picture are not good enough. She does have a significant "hay belly" and a significant dip behind her withers. I expect she may be difficult to saddle fit and she needs a LOT of trotting up long hills on a long rein to build her abdominal muscles.

You can try her jumping.. but she looks to have a low point of shoulder and a low angle to the humerus (point of shoulder to elbow). This will restrict her bweing able to get her knees up.. but her shoulder may be laid back enough to allow her to get them up enough not to be dangerous. She may get them level or nearly so.. and if she is even then she may be pretty enough for hunter. If not, she may make a decent equitation over fences horse.

The question will be if she can get her knees up and only time will tell as she is trained, gains condition and loses weight (and gets some abdominal muscling).

she is a bit pigeon breasted but her neck is not set real low. She has a very classic looking QH head, plenty of rear end muscling and a nice gaskin.. from what I can see.

Do get better photos!

SaddleStrings 12-23-2012 01:19 AM

Are you sure she is 16HH? She looks closer to 15HH. She has a nice hip and cute head
Posted via Mobile Device

laurenlewis24 12-23-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleStrings (Post 1811380)
Are you sure she is 16HH? She looks closer to 15HH. She has a nice hip and cute head
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes my dad is very tall. She is 16h easily. My other horse is 15.2 and she towers over him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 12-23-2012 10:39 AM

Put a stick on her... (if you have not). I got a stick YEARS ago because of all the 15.2 hh horses advertised as 16.1hh. Seller would see me coming with the stick and most would cringe.

Not that I cared.. just that for English riding a 16.1hh horse brought more cash. When I proved the beast was NOT anywhere NEAR that size the negotiations could begin... LOL

laurenlewis24 12-23-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 1811582)
Put a stick on her... (if you have not). I got a stick YEARS ago because of all the 15.2 hh horses advertised as 16.1hh. Seller would see me coming with the stick and most would cringe.

Not that I cared.. just that for English riding a 16.1hh horse brought more cash. When I proved the beast was NOT anywhere NEAR that size the negotiations could begin... LOL

She was originally $1,000 and I got her for $400. She IS 16 hands tall, the pic just doesnt do her justice. I got a great deal on her, now PLEASE, someone critique her conformation for me please?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chopsticks 12-23-2012 12:24 PM

solid mare, wasp waisted and more body than bone but if you keep her trim that should not be an issue. nice compact back, deep hip, good strong shoulder. i think she should do whatever you want. just as long as she wants to do it you will be successful!

laurenlewis24 12-23-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopsticks (Post 1811663)
solid mare, wasp waisted and more body than bone but if you keep her trim that should not be an issue. nice compact back, deep hip, good strong shoulder. i think she should do whatever you want. just as long as she wants to do it you will be successful!

Thanks so much! Thats what I needed to hear!(:
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 12-23-2012 01:35 PM

-Slightly Ewe Necked
-Steeper shoulder
-Her neck ties in high and is wonky looking.
-Decent Back
-Nice hip
-Short Pasterns

I can't really tell much else....we need better pictures to be able to see more. She needs to be more squared and not having legs going in all different directions.

I also would look into getting a new farrier....her heels are very under run.

laurenlewis24 12-23-2012 01:38 PM

I know her hooves are bad, we just got her a month ago. My farrier is going to try and fix her these next few months but we cant make too much of a hoof change at once.
Posted via Mobile Device