The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Completely Raw under belly, Steriods?(Long) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/completely-raw-under-belly-steriods-long-147503/)

Canteringleap 12-23-2012 02:00 AM

Completely Raw under belly, Steriods?(Long)

Hi guys,

So My 14 year old Thoroughbred Gelding whom I have aquired 7-8 months ago has had a minor skin condition ever since i've had him. He had it with his old owner who did nothing about it, as she never came out. (I have been very careful about cleaning it, and hygiene with gear) Have also had vet out previously for it, just told to vetedine it, and that it wasn't a huge concern) It had been going down, however as we have been coming into summer and the weather has been pretty muggy its gotten much worse. It was originally isolated under his shoulder, but watched smaller spots of hairloss stretching to under his hindquaters.

I had the vet out last week, had tests done for mites and ringworm (although it didn't look like ringworm, we wanted to eliminated any possibilities), He's was put on steriods last tuesday, One short term, One long term. Saw results within 48 hours and he wasn't as itchy at all. However on saturday (I didn't see him on friday) I arrived to find these -

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9094b233.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc84a73a3.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps05981a7f.jpg

The biggest one is under his shoulder, and the cluster is in the middle of his stomach. This was yesterday, I yarded him and washed them down (they were hot, so I did four lots of ten minutes on ten minutes off with the hose) by the end of the day the biggest one had gone down completely, and although he was never sore with them being touched, he was less itchy. I put him his paddock at night. went out today, and he was completely raw, it looks like he had been itching them on the ground (as he can't reach a few places which are raw). I've left him in his yard overnight, and will keep him in yard until they heal over as I don't want any infection, is this a good idea?

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem... I honestly don't know what else to do ): I'm getting some herbal lotion to use on it when they're open after christmas, as a friend has had success with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?
If anyone needs more information, i'm more than happy to give it to them, really appreciate your advice.

walkinthewalk 12-23-2012 08:24 AM

Even thought it sounds as if the vet took skin scrapings, given your weather is muggy, my guess is the midge flies are out and your horse is plagued with Sweet Itch.

He probably has Neck Threadworms, a/k/a Onchocerca worms burrowing under his skin. They aren't really worms in the sense we think of; they are microfiliae who get there from the bite of the Midge Fly:-(

Unless your horse has ulcers or some other issue, the way to get rid of them is double-dosing with PURE Ivermectin. Sometimes the horse has to be dosed again in two weeks and sometimes AGAIN in another 2 - 4 weeks.

Mine have only been double-dosed two times in three years and thankfully that did the trick.

Equine-Onchocerciasis in Horses

This link is from the Makers of Ivermectin Parasite Information - Neck Threadworms

You will know within 24 - 48 hours if you're dealing with NTW's because the sores will become much worse for a few days. The horse will be miserable but getting worse means the microfiliae are dying off.

An equal parts mix of Hemerhoid ointment, diaper rash cream and any kind of antibiotic ointment will help the horse immensely, if the sores are cleaned and this mix is applied twice a day.

Hemeroid ointment will help stop the itch/pain and reduce swelling.

Diaper rash cream will help heal but also stays on really well and will keep the flies off the sores.

Antibiotic ointment is self-explanatory:D

This is a very serious issue in the UK, I am surprised your vet was so blase' about it since you are in New Zealand.

I have dealt with it for years on the belly line of my Arab but when one of TWH's got it on his neck and it started to spread before my eyes, I had the vet out, who gave him a steroid shot. That was the last time I ever let Sweet Itch catch me off guard:-(

Hope this helps:-)

Saddlebag 12-23-2012 09:47 AM

They could be bug bites. Try slathering petroleum jelly on this. Bugs hate it. Don't be stingy. I deal with all kinds of biting insects and have found this to be most effective. Have you check up between the hind legs? Could be more up there.

Canteringleap 12-24-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinthewalk (Post 1811543)
Even thought it sounds as if the vet took skin scrapings, given your weather is muggy, my guess is the midge flies are out and your horse is plagued with Sweet Itch.

He probably has Neck Threadworms, a/k/a Onchocerca worms burrowing under his skin. They aren't really worms in the sense we think of; they are microfiliae who get there from the bite of the Midge Fly:-(

Unless your horse has ulcers or some other issue, the way to get rid of them is double-dosing with PURE Ivermectin. Sometimes the horse has to be dosed again in two weeks and sometimes AGAIN in another 2 - 4 weeks.

Mine have only been double-dosed two times in three years and thankfully that did the trick.

Equine-Onchocerciasis in Horses

This link is from the Makers of Ivermectin Parasite Information - Neck Threadworms

You will know within 24 - 48 hours if you're dealing with NTW's because the sores will become much worse for a few days. The horse will be miserable but getting worse means the microfiliae are dying off.

An equal parts mix of Hemerhoid ointment, diaper rash cream and any kind of antibiotic ointment will help the horse immensely, if the sores are cleaned and this mix is applied twice a day.

Hemeroid ointment will help stop the itch/pain and reduce swelling.

Diaper rash cream will help heal but also stays on really well and will keep the flies off the sores.

Antibiotic ointment is self-explanatory:D

This is a very serious issue in the UK, I am surprised your vet was so blase' about it since you are in New Zealand.

I have dealt with it for years on the belly line of my Arab but when one of TWH's got it on his neck and it started to spread before my eyes, I had the vet out, who gave him a steroid shot. That was the last time I ever let Sweet Itch catch me off guard:-(

Hope this helps:-)

This is really interesting!
I've spent a long time reading through the website, and the images look so alike what beachys got.

Although he has had it for a long time, which makes me question whether this is what he has, (Long time meaning three years I believe, as he had it when the old owner moved to my barn...) I don't know how badly it got, as she would rarely come out so we barley saw him.

The vet came out today, and he's now on anti biotics as his wounds are infected quite badly. They're wanting to do a biopsy, And I'm happy with this, although I'm going to get a second opinion if he does not continue to improve.

I'm going away with my family on saturday, and oh god I am so worried and stressed. Unfortunately I can't stay, because I don't have a license or any means of getting there and back even if I did stay.
He's going to be fed twice a day, and i'm trying a herbal blend, which has helped my friends horse, and considering its a $25 dollar product which solved a $900 dollar vet bill, im more than willing to try it. Also shampoo'd with anti bacterial cream twice a week.

He got given more steriods today. which i'm not exactly pleased about, as he had them a week ago and it did nothing, at all to help.

These horses, I have no idea what to do, feel like i've tried everything. I'm working my butt off to keep up with these vet bills, obviously its worth it because its (HOPEFULLY) making him better. Although right now I feel like i'm just burning it.

Thanks for your help,
Any suggestions or anything is fantastic.

(Ps. I'm applying anti bacterial filta back twice a day to the open wounds)

Canteringleap 12-24-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1811587)
They could be bug bites. Try slathering petroleum jelly on this. Bugs hate it. Don't be stingy. I deal with all kinds of biting insects and have found this to be most effective. Have you check up between the hind legs? Could be more up there.

Will look into this one!
Thanks for that, Yeah have check and nothing, all seems to be under his belly and around under his shoulders. Which to me is indicating that it might not be bugs? as he's got no cover on, and has no lumps and bumps anywhere else where they're likely to bite, none on his legs, back or neck.

Canteringleap 12-24-2012 02:22 AM

Anyone with any suggestions for which shampoos that might help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Toni.

Missy May 12-24-2012 02:28 AM

You might want to try soa soap, or any other sulfur based soap.

Poor fellow. So, just curious, he has been wormed regularly?

stevenson 12-24-2012 02:37 AM

habronema's , summer sores, onchorosis , are caused by a parasite the flies get and they leave it in the horse. Sulfadine, triple antibiotic, never thought about the hemi cream ! My old horse got them on and in the first part of his sheath this year. Takes a while to heal. Ivermectin will kill the parasite in his system , you will probably need to dose him more than once until it clears up. once a month while there are flies. Also get a fly sheet and put some velcro on the belly part, but be sure to leave him room to extend to urinate. good luck

Canteringleap 12-24-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy May (Post 1812508)
You might want to try soa soap, or any other sulfur based soap.

Poor fellow. So, just curious, he has been wormed regularly?

Will look into it, Heard it works wonders, although I have to be careful because he's got open wounds currently, So I can't bathe it. Although I am applying filta back twice a day.

Yes he as well as all the horses where I board are on a strict wormer regime, which we get from a vet.

I'm going to try 50 50 diaper rash creamand hemorrhoid cream, to see if this helps at all.

walkinthewalk 12-24-2012 07:21 AM

Regular worming for "regular worms" does not affect Neck Threadworms:shock:

I know it's a contradiction to double dose a horse with pure Ivermectin and I don't get it but, double-dosing with pure Ivermectin does work and worming a horse for stomach worms on a regular basis does not:?

It is my understanding, a horse can have these microfiliae under their skin "forver", if they aren't wormed specifically to get rid of them.

These nasty little creatures can also migrate into the eyes. They can be the cause of uveitis and eventual blindness in some instances. That can all be Googled and substantiated.

While the sulphur sounds like a great idea, I would be careful applying it to open sores as it does burn. MTG is NOT something to use on open sores.

It's doubtful anyone would want to paint your horse, twice a day, with the ointment mixture I mentioned above; do you have some sort of soothing/medicated spray you could leave at the barn? It would at least be something until you get back.

Keep in mind, the topicals will help relieve the itch/pain but they will not get rid of the microfiliae that are under the skin. Only double-dosing with pure Ivermectin will do that and, again, I don't get how all that works, I just know it does.

I hestiated for a couple years on double-dosing two of my horses but their faces got so bad with sores that would never completely heal, that I held my breath and dosed them anyway, even though they both have ulcers:shock:

The double-dosing worked and, thankfully, I only needed to do that one time.

To reiterate, you know if you're dealing with Neck Threadworms if the sores violently erupt into massive itching after the worming, within 24 - 72 hours. That is the microfiliae dieing off and shortly thereafter the hair starts growing back and the horse is comfortable again.